PH nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water change update

I ran out of time tonight but i was able to do 2 90% changes on the 10 gallon and about a 25% change on the 30 gallon

10 gallon is at a 7.4 oh and down to a .25 to .5 ppm ammonia

30 gallon is up to about a 7.0 oh and down to a 1 to 2 ppm ammonia

Ill tey and do more water changes tomorrow.

I know you’ve tested the tap water and it was in the low 7s...have you tried letting the tap water sit out overnight and testing again in the morning? Curious if it stays above 7 or drops.
Also, have you tested the tap water for ammonia?

I know you’ve tested the tap water and it was in the low 7s...have you tried letting the tap water sit out overnight and testing again in the morning? Curious if it stays above 7 or drops.
Also, have you tested the tap water for ammonia?

I have not left out overnight yet i can't figure out what causes the drop on the big tank on the little tank the ph gets more alkaline.. .... It just doesn't make since when everything is the same in the two tanks.

How do you suggest testig overnight?

I have tested ammonia I even had a professional company come review my water as i want to get a full home filtration. My tap water has the chlorine levels of a swimming pool by default.

Fresh means fill a glass with water and set it out for 24 hours on your counter then test the pH.

Ya you need more and bigger water changes on that 30.

Ammonia maybe fighting you from waste in the filter media or in the substrate.

Fresh means fill a glass with water and set it out for 24 hours on your counter then test the pH.

Ya you need more and bigger water changes on that 30.

Ammonia maybe fighting you from waste in the filter media or in the substrate.

Thanks King, Ill do the overnight test tonight.

In addition since the only difference in the tanks is that one has artificial plants. I have moved one of the artificial plants over to the 30 tank to see if it makes a difference at all.

I ran out of time to do proper water changes on the 30, tonight or in the morning i will do 50+% water changes and get that ammonia down. I have the new filter completely planned out i just need to purchase all of the components and that should also help with the situation.

Once the new filter is up and running on the 30 i plan to modify the penguin 250 and add better filtration materials to it and put it on the 10 gallon.

So overnite tests came back same no drop in ph, did 90% change in big tank got ph and ammonia right but ph is starting to drop again today.

Our male is flashing against the bottom again

Hmm.....well the only thing I can think of is your tank is going through a nitrification cycle....as your tank isn't cycled..... which can lower the pH.

I'd try adding airstones to the tank. This can raise the pH slightly. In your case it may stabilize it a bit. I'd also try adding crushed coral. With the fish you have, you'd be ok with a pH at 8.0. this gives you wiggle room to try a few things out.

Hmm.....well the only thing I can think of is your tank is going through a nitrification cycle....as your tank isn't cycled..... which can lower the pH.

I'd try adding airstones to the tank. This can raise the pH slightly. In your case it may stabilize it a bit. I'd also try adding crushed coral. With the fish you have, you'd be ok with a pH at 8.0. this gives you wiggle room to try a few things out.

Yeah I have a 10 inch air stone in there. I know it's voodoo but I added a bit of beneficial bacteria since it was on sale for 2 bucks. I am having trouble finding crushed coral.

I am thinking of getting another stone or hooking up the second outlet with a t connection. The koi definitely love hanging out in the bubbles.

Where I'm at you can't get crushed coral either. I'd have to order it online. Luckily for me my pH runs between 8.2 to 8.4. lol

You could line the whole back side of your tank with airstones if you wanted to.

Where I'm at you can't get crushed coral either. I'd have to order it online. Luckily for me my pH runs between 8.2 to 8.4. lol

You could line the whole back side of your tank with airstones if you wanted to.

So ph cobtinues to be a battle but its slowly improving. I remebered I had some old bio bag refills so I have modified my filter and between that and weekly water changes its keeping ph closer to 6.6 to 7

I am still awaiting a chance to buy some crushed coral just been a rough pay period lol

So its a penguin 200b filter that was missing biowheel

Here are the mods

Used empty bio bag filter to create prefilter on intake. Remived cartridge and replaced with bio balls and ceramic rings. Added a bio bag filter with carbon in slot where biowheel was. Will swap with puritan once its recharged

Goal was to get mechanival, bio, and chemical filtration a boost using what I had to improve it vs buying lots of new stuff

Oh and just for poops and laughs I gave it all a good soak in treated water that I added some bacteria supplement too before reinstalling

If you can't get the crushed coral right away it might be worth adding baking soda. I've never done it so I can't recommend a dosage off hand.

If you can't get the crushed coral right away it might be worth adding baking soda. I've never done it so I can't recommend a dosage off hand.

Yeah I have some API on up its sodium carbonate liquid. 1/2 a tsp a day is what I'm adding.

I need to get my hands on a gh/kh test kit

New nightmare

Ok so been doing lots of water changes etc and I have discovered a new problem

Current stats

Ph around 6.0 again
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

My ph was reading around 6.4 so I added the recommended dosage of API ph up which should make it more alkaline per the bottle. About 45 mins later I tested again and now MT ph is reading at 6.0 or lower test doesnt go lower than that.

Any ideas?

Yes you just need more calcium and some magnesium (probably). I have the same issue plants constantly using up what there is of it and continuously need more. Weekly - water changes or not.

Because there aren't enough minerals for the tank to be able to buffer properly.

I am using Seachem Replenish when using RO/DI for shrimp but it has a mix of necessary minerals and I like it. Will also use it about every other time and as I might have mentioned also Kent Marine dkh superbuffer, although it is used more often for Marine tanks, it is calcium and okay to use in FW as well.

They mention the need for magnesium for buffering capability there too. Which you can add as Epsom salts - magnesium sulfate, rather cheap at the store. No additives of course in the soaking variety like menthol or spearmint...
http://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-superbufferdkh.htm

Last edited:
Yes you just need more calcium and some magnesium (probably). I have the same issue plants constantly using up what there is of it and continuously need more. Weekly - water changes or not.

Because there aren't enough minerals for the tank to be able to buffer properly.

I am using Seachem Replenish when using RO/DI for shrimp but it has a mix of necessary minerals and I like it. Will also use it about every other time and as I might have mentioned also Kent Marine dkh superbuffer, although it is used more often for Marine tanks, it is calcium and okay to use in FW as well.

They mention the need for magnesium for buffering capability there too. Which you can add as Epsom salts - magnesium sulfate, rather cheap at the store. No additives of course in the soaking variety like menthol or spearmint...
Kent Marine » Superbuffer-dKH | Products

So ive done nothing to the tank since my post yesterday except I hooked up both lines of my air pump to the stone instead of 1

Oh tonight is darker blue than 7.6 on API chart

Came in at 7.4 to 7.6 on high range ph chart

Nothing else was added after that ph test the other night.

However that was the day I made all of those modifications to my filter and added bacteria supplement.

In addition this morning the water is pretty cloudy.

2pm update: checked PH its back down in the low 6s again today.

I also have an additional question, since im having trouble getting my hands on crushed coral, but our local hardware store has plenty of small marble stones, since Marble is a Calcareous stone like limestone shouldn't it also help raise the ph?

Back
Top Bottom