Plant tabs and goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used plant tabs such as the API brand in substrate within a goldfish tank? I have added them according to the instructions.

I am finding they are discolouring the water.

Do you think that apart from discolouration, they have any ill effects, particularly on fancy goldfish?

Concerned :-(

Hi everyone,

I suspect my question was a silly one.

I am in the process of removing the tabs because I don't like the fact they have discoloured the water - not sure what it will do to my fishy friends.

Might look into a diff type if plant fertiliser.

Cheers :)

Hi Roz! I have not tried this brand of plant tabs so I honestly do not know how they affect the water. I do use plant tabs from the place I buy dry ferts from as well as the osmocote capsules without any issues.

Do you have sand or gravel substrate?

Hi there,

Thank you for replying :)

I have a gravel substrate. I know most people would advise against it because of the risk of choking, but the little guys absolutely love pecking at it, spending almost their entire time picking it up and moving it about, that I hate to deprive them of it.

I'm thinking a liquid fertillizer for the leaves might be more beneficial, and hopefully will be safe. What would you advise?

Thank you :)

Thanks! My guess is the gravel is the cause of the issue. Not directly, but plant tabs are meant to be placed somewhere where they will dissolve slowly over time to feed roots such as under sand or soil. Gravel would allow them to be in direct contact with the water and dissolve quickly. No personal experience with this brand though!

A basic fertilizer would be something like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive. There are a couple of other brands that offer general plant fertilizers as well if you do some looking online. Hope this helps!

I have used this brand but can't say I have noticed anything with the water. But from memory I wasn't using the recommended amount. Lol I was actually looking at them last night but decided to try something different.

Thanks! My guess is the gravel is the cause of the issue. Not directly, but plant tabs are meant to be placed somewhere where they will dissolve slowly over time to feed roots such as under sand or soil. Gravel would allow them to be in direct contact with the water and dissolve quickly. No personal experience with this brand though!

A basic fertilizer would be something like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive. There are a couple of other brands that offer general plant fertilizers as well if you do some looking online. Hope this helps!

Thank you v much - will try out the product you have suggested :)

I have used this brand but can't say I have noticed anything with the water. But from memory I wasn't using the recommended amount. Lol I was actually looking at them last night but decided to try something different.

Thanks, Delapool.

What did you end up going with, and how have you found it?

It's a pretty cheap product, I'm going to add it this weekend so I can keep an eye on it and will let you know. I still have a bottle of micro ferts and iron, this is more macro ferts but was very (almost too much) cheap.

Back
Top Bottom