plastic outdoor pond with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the pond for goldfish and koi? If so, then algae is a good thing.

If you're talking about green water, then after you get some of that out, buy several bunches of stem plants, i.e., hornwort, pennywort, anacharis, etc., and sink them in bunches (using non-lead plant weights, and about 5-6 stems per bunch) to the bottom of the pond.

You also need to consider how much surface area of the pond you want to have covered with plants, because that will help keep the sun from being so direct. How much sun does your pond get?

Water hyacinth and water lettuce are popular choices for pond cover and to absorb excess nutrients. Algae needs light and nutrients to grow, reducing both will in turn reduce algae. The caveat is that many places consider these plants noxious weeds and they may not be available for sale.

Some more information about your pond will help such as gallons, parameters, stocking and amount of direct light it receives will help!

So what's your algae situation? Growing on the sides? Or is it green water?

I've heard good things about Dragonfly Aquatics for pond plants. They've got submerged and floating plants, and tropical and hardy lilies. If your koi and goldfish are mature, lilies might get eaten, but if they are still babies, you might be able to sneak a couple by them in a still water location in the pond. I understand they will hold a plant shipment for you until the weather is right for your area of the country.

When I convert my water feature to a pond this spring, I'll build a bog filter for it. My plan is to have hardy bog plants and marginals in the filter, and submerged and floating plants - with a couple of lilies - before I add some baby comets.

Okay, that's not "bad" like you think. I can see to the bottom in that photo.

But the pond is in full sun. At a minimum, you need to get some floating plants in there. And I'd put submerged ones, too.

You can scrape some of the algae, but seriously, the fish love it.

Are you filtering from the other pre-form at the top of the pic?

I agree its not that bad either! Mine has been so green before you could not see 2inches down. It looks like its mostly growing on the sides so this provides plenty nibbling options for your fish. Definitely look into some floating plant cover to reduce the amount of light its receiving.

Flag fish did wonders for my ponds.
They do well in the south east

A uv will kill the floating algae flag fish eat the string algae and algae on the pond walls.

A small lily will give some shade and reduce algae.
Goldfish don't usually bother lilies, koi will eat them.

Have fun

Water hyacinth and water lettuce are popular choices for pond cover and to absorb excess nutrients. Algae needs light and nutrients to grow, reducing both will in turn reduce algae. The caveat is that many places consider these plants noxious weeds and they may not be available for sale.

Some more information about your pond will help such as gallons, parameters, stocking and amount of direct light it receives will help!

A note- Florida is one of those places. water hyacinth and water lettuce are both prohibited aquatic plants.
While the law may seem like shutting the door after the python is out of the bag, it does keep the plant from being moved into waters where it has been eliminated.

(1) Class I Prohibited Aquatic Plants – Under no circumstances will these species be permitted for possession, collection, transportation, cultivation, and importation except as provided in Rule 5B-64.004, F.A.C.:
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/caip_files/5B-64.011_ProhibitedAquaticPlantsList_Feb2012.pdf

Water lettuce can be grown in a nursery for sale outside of the state.

Reactions: jlk
Looks like you could still have a number of floaters on this list, including azolla, duckweed (buy a pint, put half of it in the pond and the other half in a grow out tank or plastic bin with an air stone, because once the fish taste, they'll eat it), marsilea (aquatic four leaf clover), frogbit, aquatic mosaic plant, salvinia minima, and aquatic sensitive plant.

That's a whole bunch of plants.

A note- Florida is one of those places. water hyacinth and water lettuce are both prohibited aquatic plants.
While the law may seem like shutting the door after the python is out of the bag, it does keep the plant from being moved into waters where it has been eliminated.

(1) Class I Prohibited Aquatic Plants – Under no circumstances will these species be permitted for possession, collection, transportation, cultivation, and importation except as provided in Rule 5B-64.004, F.A.C.:
http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/caip_files/5B-64.011_ProhibitedAquaticPlantsList_Feb2012.pdf

Water lettuce can be grown in a nursery for sale outside of the state.

Thanks! I suspected Florida may be one of the states that bans these plants but I was not positive.

Back
Top Bottom