Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I tell the difference between male and female common Plecos?

Do you have more than one?

I ask this mostly out of curiosity. And my boyfriend and I have a opportunity to get some Plecos for a really great price for our area. I was thinking if two to go in two separate aquariums but I we want and male and female

Do you have a couple of pretty large tanks?

Yes, I have had a Pleco before and so has my boyfriend. I’ve researched the size they grow and minimum tank size and I have 2 big enough tanks for two

Selecting the fish in the fish store might be easier since the fish may be seen next to each other for comparison. Checking a few times for "practice" observing them in the lfs might help too. There are always some bigger or smaller ones and as they get older you might have an easier time to ID the difference.

As an alternative option you may consider selecting male and female of a possibly more sought after specimen (worth more $$ if selling juveniles) in case you have any interest in breeding them in the future. It can take a couple years for good maturity for breeding usually. Some of them are blue, green and other varieties with cool patterns.

Back
Top Bottom