Pond and Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKelly

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have an outdoor water feature with small pond. We had frogs living in it up until two days ago. The frog was always there then on Monday he jumped in the swimming pool and swam around then this morning we found him dead in the filter box. I was so upset, that frog really was cool.

Did the chlorine from the pool kill him? He had swam in the pool many times before with no problems.

We had more frogs now they all seem to be gone. Do they only stay for a certain amount of time?

All of your questions depend on certain variables and such... Frogs are one of the best indicators as to the health of the environment. Cholorine is definitely not good and could very well be what caused the death but it could have been a number of other factors as well. It is possible that if one swam into the filter area the current may have been too powerful... I'm guessing this is not an above ground pool... It's quite easy for a frog or other animal to fall into swimming pools but not always so east to find their way out. Two suggestions for now, one would be to leave a pool toy or something in there that they could climb on easily to help them get out. And anytime you ever see one in the pool, do your best to get it out as soon as you can. As far as why you haven't seen any lately it's hard to tell... again, variables... One of the bigger things would be what kind of frogs have been seen there. If they were green frogs, bull frogs, or other mostly aquatic frogs then it would be odd for them to have left... In that situation it may have to do with the condition of the pond or possibly animals getting at them. There are other frogs, including tree frogs, spring peepers, and more, and toads that you usually only see them in the water around breeding season. They hang around the water to breed and then they're gone again... Unless there is something wrong with the water, there is a good chance you could find tadpoles in your pond sometime soon. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know... but most important is that pools are dangerous for frogs...

Thank you for your reply. He was a rather large green frog. He was so cute, i miss him.

I am guessing the chlorine, he used to just hop in the pool and swim around everywhere.... i though it might be dangerours, but wasn't sure, cause he kept going over to the pool. We have steps to the ingroud pool, so i doubt he was trapped. We have found him hiding out in the filter before and he always jumped right out. We found another smaller frog, so we put him in the pond, he was also in the pool. I don't know how we can keep these guys out of the pool. We also have a toad that lives in the garden in the front of the house, boy is he ugly....lol

Thanks again for you quick reply.

Yeah, I'd guess the chlorine... That is definitely the type of frog that spends a lot of time in water. You can really see how webbed his feet are in that picture... Most people with pools like that sort of accept it as part of life... I sure couldn't do that... I love frogs... I'd probably try to find a way to keep them out or find some way to go without chlorine... Chlorine isn't good for humans either... people will argue, but that's ok... I try not to swim in pools anymore... Do your best to catch them while you can but you'll keep finding them in there. As for mr. toad... I think toads are cool. They eat lots of bugs and some of the ones I've caught were quite tameable... Now if he falls into the pool I seriously doubt he could get out thouth. Toads are not very good at jumping... So if you ever see a toad in the pool try to save it right away as a toad could probably drown with or without the chlorine...

Just a little bit of frog biology...they absorb chemicals and moisture through their skin. Mix that with his little dip in the pool and I think you have a pretty good indication of what happened to him.

:wink:

Edit: Kelly, If you dont mind if I make a suggestion...I would add some plants to the pond. That will help suck up the nutrients that are feeding the algae bloom in the water.....that will result in clearer water. Submersibles are the best at oxygenating and consuming the "food." Floating plants will reduce the amount of light actually getting into the water wich will also restrict algae growth. :wink:

Yes, I got some of those flowers that grow in ponds. The float, but they have not bloomed yet. I can't wait that should look cool. Only thing, there are no more frogs.... boo hoo....

So far the toad only stays to the front of the house... will keep our eyes peeled. Man, I never new what death traps pools are. we had like 3 chipmunks drown too.

We are going to get a solar cover, maybe that will help.

thank you all.... :)

rofl3.gif

okay.... to me it looked like the frog struggling to get out of your shrink wrap.... lol

oh, I have a new baby froggy that has just joined my water feature.... horay... i was so sad to have no more frogs.

Back
Top Bottom