Pond build.. no experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am going to order the following to make a pond

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B9PS1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2OWTFZVIG7K1P

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B9PS1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2OWTFZVIG7K1P

it will be 4x6 and 18" deep... question 1) is the size good?
2) if i built a canopy of some sort that would cover some of it for some of the day would it help with algae?
3) i plan on putting 2 inches of sand on the bottom under the liner is that a good idea?
4) i like the look of sand in tanks would sand look good in a pond?
5) i would love to put a whole bunch of stuff in it :fish2: :fish1: :fish2: :fish1: :fish2: :fish1: as far as livestock goes let me know
6) is the filter above good for the 330 gallon pond i know its 291 gph i figured it filtering every hour and a half over and over again is great! but i have no idea!?!?!?!?!? :blink:

1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. 4. No it will clog up filters. 5. A mixture of up to 8 common and shubunkin goldfish. 6. Yes if you utilize plants and have decent filter media.

Minnesota-koi said:
1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. 4. No it will clog up filters. 5. A mixture of up to 8 common and shubunkin goldfish. 6. Yes if you utilize plants and have decent filter media.

X2 ^

Have you made any progress?

X2 ^

Have you made any progress?

going on vaca the 17 and 18 but maybe that weekend ill order the stuff so no i dont even know where i want it yet

also another question i wont be using plants... unless i go to a local pond and get some and but them in a growing box or something would this work if not what should i do??

Its really not quite big enough for koi- they need alot of water. Depending on who you ask, this runs from 500-1000g per fish. I wouldnt order anything until you figure out where you are putting the pond & actually start digging...you may run into into some unseen issues once you start (ie, tree roots, large rocks, underground utilities...) and may have to change your plans or change the location. Just a thought! :)

jlk said:
Its really not quite big enough for koi- they need alot of water. Depending on who you ask, this runs from 500-1000g per fish. I wouldnt order anything until you figure out where you are putting the pond & actually start digging...you may run into into some unseen issues once you start (ie, tree roots, large rocks, underground utilities...) and may have to change your plans or change the location. Just a thought! :)

Yeah I know koi get huge and imma do 8 common/hubanukin goldfish and I can change place with ease if I do trust me landscaping at my house isn't super nice expensive or anything haha redneck haha

I am learning as I go along! Basically, I try to treat the pond like my tanks (water changes & good filtration). It did turn green (pea soup) initially & was vile. Big water changes & lots of filtration plus some pool floats to block the sun (pond stores didn't have any floating plants yet) and it cleared up pretty quickly. The green sneaks up on you pretty quickly so keep your eye on things or start off with lots floating plants. :)

jlk said:
I am learning as I go along! Basically, I try to treat the pond like my tanks (water changes & good filtration). It did turn green (pea soup) initially & was vile. Big water changes & lots of filtration plus some pool floats to block the sun (pond stores didn't have any floating plants yet) and it cleared up pretty quickly. The green sneaks up on you pretty quickly so keep your eye on things or start off with lots floating plants. :)

Not doing plant... Well maybe somewhere down the line but not now

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Yeah I know koi get huge and imma do 8 common/hubanukin goldfish and I can change place with ease if I do trust me landscaping at my house isn't super nice expensive or anything haha redneck haha

What are hubanukin?lol

Back
Top Bottom