pond comets are breeding! what do we do next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iansgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our pond comets are breeding! I take this as a compliment that we are taking nice care of our half barrel pond. Tried to attach a photo, but don't know how.

We usually clean out our pond once a month, but if we do that now, won't all the eggs or babies be lost? How can we keep it clean but watch for babies? Or will they just eat the babies before we even see them?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• barrelpond.jpg
    barrelpond.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 157
I'm not sure in a pond that size. In larger ponds the babies often just sort of appear & then you know the goldfish have been breeding. I bet in a space that small they won't be able to grow up without getting swallowed but I am no goldfish expert.

As for cleaning . . . lots of lily pads & other plants will keep the algae down & provide places for the little ones to hide if they make it to that stage. I am afraid a cleaner fish would just vacuum up the eggs. I have read that floating plants like water lettuce etc. are especially good for fry.

pond comets breeding - thanks

Thanks! I guess we will just wait and see. If we can spot the little babies in time, we could try putting them in a second pond or aquarium. Hopefully they won't all get eaten. Does anyone know if you spot the eggs, generally, before the fry hatch? If we can find the eggs, we could take them out and put them in another aquarium with some duckweed and stuff.

I can't beleive I missed this thread. In my experience, the eggs should be stuck to the surfaces in your pond. Plants, walls, etc. Try taking a look around, but chances are pretty good that they all got eaten if you didn't get to them.

I think if they do have the success that mine did and do, then you will have a job finding someone to give them to as your pool will, in a year or two be overcome with goldfish. What to do with them will be your next worry. These things make ponding interesting. I may some night slip them over in the neighbor's pond and let him find them a new home. (Not really, just a joke-- but the idea continues to invade my mind) :twisted:
Ed

I think if they do have the success that mine did and do, then you will have a job finding someone to give them to as your pool will, in a year or two be overcome with goldfish. What to do with them will be your next worry. These things make ponding interesting. I may some night slip them over in the neighbor's pond and let him find them a new home. (Not really, just a joke-- but the idea continues to invade my mind) :twisted:
Ed

Put a mop or Water lettuce or something in there for the eggs to stick to and pull it out whenever they spawn again.

Back
Top Bottom