Pond Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nellynelson23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking into pond filters and I was wondering what people recommend. I have a 1035gal pond and about 18 koi...some getting large. I have been using a 2000gal/hr fishmate pump, a 36 watt uv sterilizer as of now im using a 55 gal homemade filter filled about 3/4 of the way with various scrubber pads. It has worked OK but im looking to upgrade. I was loking to spend around $300.....any input would be appreciated.....or what I should do to my filter to make my water a little more polished. Thanks

This is the pond

Attachments

• image-1818603011.jpg
    image-1818603011.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2038635538.jpg
    image-2038635538.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3819124118.jpg
    image-3819124118.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 114
I have always used the tetra green barrels. They are simple and effective. Not too pricey either. You will need a pump. Unless you have a pump for a water fall you could split. That's what I did. Nice pond. Well done.

Also if you'd like. Take a pic of the filter you made. I might be able to help make it more efficient.

This is my filter. It is in the shed for storage since its winter in North Dakota right now. It is a 55gal barrel with flange outlet. The water is pumped through the center pvc into a swirl design pvc pipe to rotate and even out the water in the bottom of the barrel. Above that is a milk crate cut to hold up the filter media pads from the bottom. On top of that is a rubbermade lid with large holes to also hold up filter media and create even flow through the scrubber pads. The scrubber pads are cut into large quarters and are of various thickness and density....less dense on bottom to catch larger particles and more dense on top to catch the finer particles. The top pad I left in full size to help hold them down with a couple rocks. The the water goes through a couple of dehydrater trays filled with charcoal to help with tea colored water. The water then flows out the flange into a 3 inch pvc pipe and back into the pond.

Attachments

• image-3512094171.jpg
    image-3512094171.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1792665165.jpg
    image-1792665165.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-96172467.jpg
    image-96172467.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 88
I think that is a great design. Here's what I would do with what you have. You have the design right but I would reverse the water flow. Instead of having water coming from bottom, have feed from top to bottom. Then gravity will put water back out. Place large pond type bioballs (much larger then aquarium type) on bottom, then use a rough filter floss, then a fine. I think this will make what you have a little more efficient. I think by feeding water from bottom it is keeping debris too stirred up. Top down will allow debris to settle on top of filter pads with bacteria growth on bioballs. Let me know what you think.

I am running about 700-1000 gal/hr it will overflow...the water usually comes out pretty clean and then I dont have to worry about it overflowing onto the ground if the top filter pad becomes plugged up with debris. My water is always yellowish....Ive just seen ponds crystal clear and thats what im going for. Last year I added accu-clear and it helped alot but its still not perfect.

ADVICE HELP PLEASE!!!!

I just ordered 500 1.5 inch bio balls and I am going to chop my media pads a little smaller because they are large and there isnt many edges to catch stuff and to increase the area as well.....any more help is appreciated!

If you think it will over flow, turn it up side down. Then you will have big pipe on bottom. The bio balls need to be on the bottom. If water is yellow, consider a uv filter if you don't already have one. You could split your flow to the filter to accommodate the uv and the mechanical filter.

Back
Top Bottom