Pond Fish Dying Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burtonglenn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey

sorry if this is the wrong place ont he forums im new to them and in need of fast help i think.

ok a friend of mine has an outdoor pond and the fish seem to be dying about 5 or 6 in just a couple of days they are floating to the top
the other fish in the pond seem healthy enough they are just swimming around normaly however one was floating around on its side just lightly flapping its fins but not moving a great deal.

i dont know to much more than that for details doesnt seem to be anything else obviously wrong with them any help would be greatly appreciated

This is the right place. What type of fish are they, and what sizes? What are the dimensions of the pond. Is this a new pond, or has it been around a few years?

I am not sure of any diseases, but I know it has started getting really cold here in the states recently, has it also gotten colder suddenly in the UK? I'm not even sure if temp would cause such a problem.

Is there any areation in the pond for the fish?
Has it froze over?
Could something(like chemicals) have been exposed to this pond?
Try to find out somemore details and we'll try to help.

Adding salt is also good for the fish.

ok found a little more sorry for not great details before

the pond and fish have been there for a few years 3+ not sure exactly as far as i knwo they are jsut nroaml gold fish they are maybe between 1 inch to 2 inch long and the pond dont know exact size volume wise but its maybe 3 foot long by 1 1/2 - 2 foot wide and probably about a foot deep

the temp has gotten colder however not frozen over and they have been in a lot colder temperatures as it hasnt dropped that much yet

dotn think any chemicals had got in the only possability would be slug peletts as i did notice a container of them up turned about a foot away from the pond slightly up hill but they didnt think that it had got int he pond.

i thought adding salt was bad for fresh water fish i thought it made them sick not that im an expert

there has been some leaves falling in the pond but they have been cleared out failry regulaly i beleive there are some plants in dont knwo what exactly looked like some pond weed and maybe some kind of rushes at one size but cant be sure

if there is anythign else you need to know i can probably find it out although they dont have any methods to test for pH or oxygen or salt or similar

thanx for your help so far and any future help anyone can give

ok well there all dead now so thanx for your help you were all so very helpful

burtonglenn said:
ok well there all dead now so thanx for your help you were all so very helpful
Just because all of the fish died doesn't mean the problem has gone away. Your friend will probably want new fish next season. Have his/her water tested,for both chlorine and chloramines. The nitrate and ammonia levels also tend to be extremely high in the late season with leaves falling and all. Keep checking back for more advice from everyone here.

Back
Top Bottom