Pond Fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevoawsome

Aquarium Advice Newbie
which fish would you say survies in a pond but is still very nice looking and will not eat other fish

Stevo

All fish will eat other fish as long as they can fit them into their mouths (Altough they oftenly try to swallow fish which are actually too big as well) generally koi, comets, and common goldfish are suggested for pond fish as they get big enough to be seen easily and can have a variety of markings and colorings.

I would definitely say get som mosquito fish or you will have quite a blood feast come spring. I also have some pup fish. The males display like crazy & are small but guard territories & are flashy blue. The other pretty one I've had is the red shiner. Depending on the size of your other fish you could try pumpkinseed sunfish (they will eat other fish but are pretty small themselves & the males build rock nests which they vigorously defend against intruders & guard the eggs until they hatch.

Pup fish are found in desert springs/water holes in the southwest & Mexico. Most species are endangered & many are extinct. They have evolved in isolation so often the species is only found in one spring in one place.

The one I had (my now deceased large mouth bass ate them) is a mexican species that I got from a friend who is a fish biologist. It is not uncommon for biologists who study these fish to keep a population in captivity as they breed quickly & are easily wiped out. That way if their native habitat is ever compromised they can be restocked. Developers will sometimes pay someone to accidentally spill gasoline or oil in the springs so they can build in the area once the fish are gone. A lot have gone extinct because of the spring being pumped dry too.

He has promised us a new bunch of babies in the spring. Last year we started with 13 & ended up with perhaps 50 before the accidental bass introduction :oops: . They will easily cross with each other since normally the barrier to reproduction is distance. So its essential that only one species is kept in a pond. The also love to breed in filamentous algae which I happen to have a lot off.

I am sure there are some species in the trade but I haven't really looked. They are usually about 1.3 inches maximum size and mud brown. This species just happens to be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom