pond on the cheap2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
We had a blowout in the supply line to the house, forcing the quick move of the current fish pool. It gave me a chance to 'rebuild' the pond with a camera nearby, so I uploaded some of the shots. I think if I bought the pump and gravel new, along with the odd/end plumbing supplies, I'd still come out under $100 US on this project. I moved the whole set up in about two hours with some care taken to safely store/transfer the fish AND water. This is NOT the permanent location for this project in the yard, but it is going to overwinter in this spot, about 20 feet from the house.

I put four shots here, the original placement which I had hoped to plant around next spring, prior to the small river in the front yard. The supply line runs right under that spigot into the house. The top right shot is the midway through; pump cage leading to diy filter, about to install return line. The bottom left is refilled and about to add fish. The fourth is a day later after sediment resettled.

The camera doesn't show it but those clay pot saucers are inverted on top of smaller clay pots, creating hiding spots (toadstools?) for the school when they're disturbed as well as that small pot (top right) an others turned on their side. I put more pictures on my profile if anyone wants a few more looks, they're on in reverse chronological order, but I captioned most of them.

I bucketed all the water from the first fill so I could immediately rehome the fish. I'll extend the daisy chain hose from the rainbarrel so that a 1/2 line adds/overfills the pond during a good rain, doing a good amount of my PWC's for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 77
Nice pictures. I keep my pond like that permanently since it's an indoor/outdoor pond that goes in for the winter. I use a 35 gallon stock tank and keep neon rosy barbs and red eyed tetras.

Aliza

Back
Top Bottom