Pond Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkraha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a 90 gallon preformed pond and I'm not sure of the size of it but I do have a picture that I've attached. The problem I'm having is I dug up the hole (clay was fun) in our garden next to the house, placed it in, and everything was running fine till the rains started coming. The first time it rained was really no problem, some of the dirt caved in on the sides which I expected (filling in holes that I didn't get to). The second time it rained was worse. The hole that I had dug filled up with water and then floated the pond and the dirt around it caved in more. I'm not sure exactly how to keep the sides reinforced and how to keep it from floating when it rains. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

Once it is full of water, it will weigh approx 720 lbs, and won't float away. Use the dirt that you dug up, to fill in the area around the pond, this will support the sides. I would fill, wet the dirt, pack it, and then fill again. Course, I've never put in a pond :D

Also, all that water weight (1 gal of water = 8lbs) will exert pressure on the sides of the form. So I don't think you need to worry with dirt deforming the form either. But like kevin said in your photo you have lots of areas around the pond that should be backfilled.

Also, have you planned on your filter and your filter lines?

Just curious as I did not see that in the photo.

disclaimer: I have never put a pond either.

Well that photo was a kind of work in progress type thing, before and after type pictures. Of course I forgot to take the final one but I had the filter in the narrower end and the lines running up the side to the waterfall under the dirt. Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to get all the water out of the hole now :(

just like mine

Hi,

I put one in just like this. You will want to try and fill the dirt and water about the same rate. This will help support the plastic both ways. Once you have it full and all dirt is in it, rain should not affect it. There will not be anywhere for the water around it to collect and do any damage. Then when you get landscaping around it, it will be even more secure. I have also installed an external filter to help keep the water clear and a pond net over the top to keep leaves and things out and the fish in. Mine liked to jump out. Good Luck.

I just thought maybe if you got some graval and put in the bottom of the hole you would provide a good drainage area for water to drain.

??

Well I finally got the pond back in the ground after a month or so of rain it seemed like. This time through I packed the dirt down on the sides and it looks as though it may work this time. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back
Top Bottom