Pond Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm making a small pond (180 gal + small water fall) and the guy at Lowes told me I needed a 1000 gph pump. I'm only having a few small comets in there. So, is the guy right?

This all depends.. Typically.. you only need to circulate the water once an hour.. so theorhetically, a 180 gph pump would suffice. HOWEVER, if you want a waterfall, the rule of thumb is 80-100gph per inch width of waterfall...

Take it as you like...

1000 GPH pump??? Sounds like he is just trying to sell you something...

You dont need anything bigger than 200 GPH. But if you are having a waterfall you want something faster.

AngelFishFan is wrong in that area, the amount of GPH you want per inch is up to you, it depends how fast you want it going. For a pond your size you dont want it that fast, your pond would just be all waves (Which water lilies dont like).

I guess if you arent having a waterfall just use something between 150-200 GPH would be plenty.

I am not wrong, I am telling you what researchers and market developers tell us (water garden retailers) is prefered by 90 % of the customers.

Thus, the "rule of thumb" statement.

Right but it will vary with the individual.

You told her (or him) as a fact that he needed 80-100 GPH.

Now you cant honestly tell me that that is a good GPH rate for a 180 gallon pond, if she is wanting lilies or something?

Say her waterfall is small (12" or so wide) she needs a 960-1200 GPH flow rate?

I was thinking 500 GPH or something if she wanted a waterfall, I mean only people with big ponds want a big waterfall. Most people with smaller ponds just want a nice flow of water for looks/sound.

Lillies, unless dwarf, wouldnt be able to live in a pond that small without being a pain in the rear end.. and as Im sure you have installed ponds before for customers, and realize that the customer goes for appearance, and little on work.. so for them to have to repot the lilles twice a year due to over growth, I would say confidently that yes, that rule of thumb I am very confident in.

I am not here to argue. I gave my fair input of what I believed was alright. I have installed over 40 ponds, have worked in a lawn and garden center water garden department for 6 years.. and am confident in my advice that I give.. which is why I still have a job after 6 years...

I think that speaks for itself.

I used to have a 90 gallon pond. The lilies grew no differant than they do now.

And if you are repotting lilies twice a year (which is not the best for them, it doesnt let them get more established before you are messing with them again). You must not be putting them in big enough containers, you might be putting them in smaller containers?

For lilies 1 time a year is the "rule of thumb" that I find everyone to use (Well, exept for now). For lotus 1 time every 2 years is advised.

I fertilize my Lillies routinely.. and Also have some certain growing hints that I have to make them outperform most. So yes, I am repotting both my lillies, and my customers lillies, twice a year.

I DONT fertilize mine and they did fine in a 90 gallon.

I have some growing tips too... LET THEM GROW. People sometimes ask me how I get my pond so clear (And I dont use chemicals either). I dont use chemicals or anything and have some of the best plants and water there is. I dont use "Fake" ways like you folk do.

I have not foudn that fertilizing them does anything, for me anyway.

Keep in mind, I am in a different zone than you.. it doesn't get anywhere near as hot in PA as it does where you live. Heat helps things grow. I have NEVER ONCE had a complaint with how I run things.. and every year, I get more and more referrals. So call them "fake" if you will, but I am making a very good profit on doing my "fake" ways and us "folk" LOVE the results.

This is all I have to say in this thread. You are simply looking for an argument, and I am not one to pursue someone as belligerent as yourself.

Take Care and Have A Good Evening.

Thanks for the quick respopnse, BTW, I'm a he. I knew that guy was doing that to make a sale. He probally thought I was uneducated.

angels 1 others nil

Well I make the angel right. The rule of thumb for filtration of ponds is to change the water at a rate of 1.5-2.5 hours per change 180 gall pond 120 gallon flow rate per hour Plus 10-15% efficiency degrade when not cleaned 180 gall pump is almost dead on. And I know my pondies.
Regards
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

Boroughmal, thats not was the disagreement was on, it was on the flow rate over the waterfall. We agreed on the flow rate for the overall pond without a waterfall, which is about the pond volume over each hour appx.

Now we both disagree with you, lol.

Back
Top Bottom