Pond questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Cleaned the pump which was well blocked and cleaned the filter all in pond water. Took the uv out if the circuit and now feed directly in to the filter box. Removed 40% of the water and added treated fresh. Already seen more activity in pond.

Pond now has flow from waterfall feature and filter box. Also raised filter higher to allow more broken water surface on impact.

To more questions. How can we control algae without solutions and uv box. And do you know where we can get an electric siphon as we now have sore backs haha.

You mentioned barley but how does this work and do pet shops sell it?

barley straw..can find it at any farm supply place, and I believe you just toss it in and change it every so often.

You can find pond pumps to do the work for you, or a submersible pump from lowies/home depot...I use a 500gph to do water changes on my big tank(s), so much nicer

barley straw..can find it at any farm supply place, and I believe you just toss it in and change it every so often.

You can find pond pumps to do the work for you, or a submersible pump from lowies/home depot...I use a 500gph to do water changes on my big tank(s), so much nicer

If you can't find barley straw, a barley straw extract should be available at any garden shop that has pin supplies.

Thanks both of you. I'm gonna try get the straw. I've seen the extract in the shop but was a but dubious.

I've had good luck with the extract. Used it a few times. Once things cleared up I never had to use it again.
If you use barley straw, try to tie it in a bundle or put it in mesh bag. It will be easier to remove.

A sump pump can be used for emptying the pond. Most can be connected to a garden hose and you can direct it to a garden, lawn, etc.

Jlk calculated my pond to be roughly 700 gal. How much extract would you need to dose? Can't get directions for use up and was wondering what size bottle to get.

Cheers

Jlk calculated my pond to be roughly 700 gal. How much extract would you need to dose? Can't get directions for use up and was wondering what size bottle to get.

Cheers
Here's a link to a product at fosters & smith called Microbe-Lift Concentrated Barley Straw Extract: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12266
According to the usage chart, a 700 gallon pond would need 3 oz on week 1 and 0.75 oz on weeks 2-4. That's a total of 5.25 oz not counting the monthly maintenance dose of 1.25 oz. Not sure if you'll need the latter; depends on the bioload, filter, and feeding.

There is a huge lillypad that sits in the middle if the pond. Takes up way to much if you ask me. Whilst feeding them while he was in holiday I noticed 2 fish that looked like koi's he had about 5 large koi's at one time but due to herons and unknown reasons they have dwindled. He has never added fish. Now I know that there are also some small dark fish that come up for the food but they dart for it then go back down. No way of telling what they are. There are also really small fish I can see nudging the food along too small to eat it whole. I honestly can't say how many of these are in the pond.

Thanks
So you like the lily pads or no? Either way coverage is good. It will give your fish security and a place to feel safe and hide from predators. A pond does not need to keep clear to be healthy. Your cant tell if your fish aquarium water is healthy from looking at it. And like mentioned Above, it's still fresh water so it will be fine.

And as far as messing around with it, who's pond is it? Does he care if you go taken stuff out that he might like. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you might not like he might.

Back
Top Bottom