Pond Resto After Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfhrtn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys new here to the community. My name is James and I have a pond in the back yard that recently sat next to the garage as it burned. Had the garage fire almost 9 months ago now and it took a toll on the pond too. Been so busy with the insurance company and rebuilding the garage I'm just now getting to the pond. Melted the power wires going to the pump, the small fountain, and all the hoses that were outside the pond. Lost about 7 gold fish that were just over 8 years old but 4 survived. I have pumped out about 3/4 of the water and cleaned it up but with no flow in it right now the algae is coming back strong. The pond is 18' long x 5.5' across x 4' deep. Filled the pond back up from a rain barrel & topped it off with the hose and a little dechlorinator. The 4 survivors seem happy for now but I'm the market to restore the pond back to its glory since the insurance didn't help out with it. Maybe a new filtration system, a small fountain to help with oxygen, some small plants, and maybe a few new inhabitants (doesn't have to be gold fish). What would y'all do for the resto if it were your pond? Worth the trouble of emptying it, power washing it, and lining it? Some of the plants around the pond have come back since the fire and need trimming very happy the Japanese Maple came back out. Planted a few plants around the pond to replace the ones that were lost. Trying to make it look decent again. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

Also have a small 10gal aquarium in the house. I can post up pics of that too. Thinking about going up to a planted 20gal soon and just using the 10gal for a hospital/quarantine tank. That will be in another post so I don't get too off topic haha.

-James
IMG_20170427_160210.jpg

I would invest in a pump and filtration system. For aesthetics, I'd say something internal. If you could do an external filter with a gravity drain that would be better (in terms of being able to flush the waste from the filter).
If you cannot put in a filter at this time, at least a decent pump with a generous intake screen to promote flow and surface movement.
What is in the back corner?

Thank you for the reply @Fresh2o

The very back corner is a small shallow in the pond. Kind of like a little elbow. I have often thought about putting some type of water plants back there. Do you have any recommendations on the filter/pump?

Back
Top Bottom