Pond winterization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyvinWolf

Aquarium Advice Regular
I built a pond in the spring, 1250gals give or take a 100, has skimmer and bio waterfall all. It also has koi, some plants, and some snails and a frog or two have moved in. To winterized it I use microbe-Lift fall and winter, scooped out as much junk as I could, strung up a net to catch any more debris, turned off the water fall, moved the bio bags into the main pond, put in a de-icer, put in a small filter/areator, and a simple water pump to keep water circulation going on the top of the pond. I believe the deepest is about 3' but it's only a small area, but that is where the de-icer is located.

Think this will be okay for the koi for the winter? Current surface water temps are between 45-55 degrees. With the waterfall on it was between 40-60.

Sounds good! Just make sure the you keep an open area on the surface. The other important thing is stop feeding once the pond reaches @50f. Some people will stop around 55f, others feed down to 45f. If you are still feeding, keep the meals small-once a day or every other day at the warmest point in the day and make sure its a low protein food such as a wheat germ-based food.

If you have any tropical or seasonal plants, they either need to be moved inside or removed. :)

Thankyou! Yes I removed all the tropical plants, and they rarely get fed anyway. If I give them any it's after work, and not even one handful for 7 koi and 1 shubunkin. And maybe a few baby koi. I gave seen 1 or 2 but I can't catch the fast buggers! And I figured between the aerator, the pond deicer, and the small pump (all three set up in an almost equal lateral triangle around the pond) should be sufficient.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom