Pond with fountain...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Where I work there is a pretty large cement pound type thing with a fountain. The water has gotten kind of green. They are wondering about options to help this. Wondering if goldfish/ koi would do anything? I know there's some kind of filter screen for the fountain so I'm not worried about fish being sucked into it. The water seems to be kinda hard on the surface from the fountain when it's on but there is a 'cave' made of rocks they can hide in. The fountain is on a timer. I think it's 20 minutes on then 20 off. Just wondering if this is a possible koi pond or not. Can post pics of it tommorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi! Pics will help but we will need some more specific information to better advise. Does this pond have a filtration system? Depth? Gallons? What type of climate do you have (ie, seasonal, warm year round, winters that drop to 32f or less, etc)? Is someone responsible for its maintenance and care (such as costs for chemicals, food, etc)? Are there plants?

If you are in a seasonal climate, a green pond in the spring is pretty normal as the temps and amount of sunlight increase. Adding fish (and their waste) actually can exacerbate the green as increased nitrates will help to further feed the algae bloom.

Steps can be taken to help the situation (manual, chemical, natural and mechanical) but it honestly depends on what is planned for the ponds future, who shall care for it and who shall fund it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish will not really help the problem due to their bioload and their feeding nature. Goldfish are typically bottom feeders and will stir the dirt/sand if there is that type of substrate in the pond.

Back
Top Bottom