Pool pump and sand filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Buckner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I've started building a new koi pond that will be roughly 3000+ gallons. I want to know if a pool pump and sand filter will work for a koi pond? The pump will push 6000 gph.

I believe it would depend on the type of pump/filter and what its designed for (above ground or inground pool). Pumps designed for above ground pools partially depend on gravity to work and need to be positioned well below the waterline to function properly.

That said, I do use a pool pump to power a homemade canister/sump type filtration system for my pond. I believe its a 3 or 4hp motor that pumps approximately 10,000gph on low or 14,000gph on high.

Ok, so basically I would have to dig a hole to put the pump and filter in that would place it lower than the water level. I was just wondering because I could buy a pool pump and filter cheaper than buying "pond pumps or filters".

I can post a pic of the pond but you really cant see how anything is setup. I can draw a little diagram if this will help understanding how we did this. I can take some pics after the snow melts if that helps, too. Nothings running right now other than a small 1000gph submersible pump to keep the surface broken so it doesnt freeze over.

The setup is really pretty simple. A pipe runs from the bottom of the pond (theres a 10g storage box with zilion holes covering the intake) to the pump that sits on the ground (in plastic storage box). Another pipe runs from the pump to a 55g rain barrel. Water comes in the bottom of the barrel and swirls up through a zillion layers of media and comes out the top through 3 ports/outflows and flows back into the pond. Theres shutoff valves on the pipe before the pump, after the pump and on the outflows. And additional drainage port near the bottom of the barrel for draining and cleaning. and a port for hooking a garden hose up right before the pump to prime it. I know some people will run multiple barrels will all different types of media in each one. If you check out U-Tube, theres a slew of different pond setup videos for running DIY filtration systems.

The pump I have is meant for an inground pool and I actually got it off of craigslist for $40 but the catch was it had to be hardwired into the electrical system. The lady that I bought it from didnt realize you couldnt just plug it in to an outlet. Not sure if this info helps but using pool stuff can work but it just takes a bit of planning. :)

Back
Top Bottom