Popeye treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 180L aquarium with (now) 5 goldfish, a CAE, and two snails. I have hardly been home the past week because of work, but everyone seemed fine the little time that I did see them. However on Thursday morning before leaving for work I noticed one of them was stuck vertically upside-down, halfway up the back wall in the corner, clearly dead ;_; I guessed he had been there since the night before at least because his eyes were white, his tail was a little torn, but his color was still in tact (while usually if a Goldie dies when I am not around my CAE will have almost immediately sucked the color off...)...I was running out the door so I quickly put him in a container in the freezer...it was so weird because he wasn't behaving or looking abnormally at all...when I came back late in the evening I saw one of the other fish had pop eye, no discoloration or rupturing, but on both sides. His only behavioral change was that he was less active but non in a lifeless manner. I checked the tanks levels and nitrates were very high (all other levels normal), so I put him in the QT with completely fresh water and thoroughly cleaned the big tank today. The popeyed fish has been in the QT for two days no but with no improvement. Slightly more active but not himself yet, and when I feed him it is clear he is going purely by smell and can't see the food. Should the popeye go away on its own, do you think it was because of the water quality? Or should I give him antibiotics?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom