Potential Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could always sell here on AA. I've only shipped plants so I can't help with live stock shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I don't really want to sell online because of the whole shipping thing. Perhaps craigslist?

Sun fish are cool but I've never kept them so I can't help you there sorry :(
Koi are really cool though I highly recommend them if you've never had them! Don't knock it till you try it as they say! Koi are more like dogs than fish and that's one reason I love them. They are really intelligent and recognize their owners at feeding time. If you dip your feet in they will give you a foot massage lol! There are so many pretty varieties too! Theres hundreds of color combos but theres only two types of koi; butterfly koi and regular Koi. look butterfly koi up they are beautiful! I've heard some disasters with native fish so be really educated on them before you decide to get any. You need a license from the state for some native fish.

NatureFish
????

I am sorry but you can not keep any type of koi in a 50-75g pond.

Here's a picture of it I cleaned it out

It's probably 36" in diameter and 18" at the deepest spot

Oh ya it's not going to fit any koi! If you want something exotic try orange throat darters!

NatureFish
????

I'm kind of leaning towards a bunch of feeder guppies in there for the summer/fall and sell the fry at the end of it. Quick cash for my tank hobby!

I'm kind of leaning towards a bunch of feeder guppies in there for the summer/fall and sell the fry at the end of it. Quick cash for my tank hobby!

Oh ok in that case you should try rosy reds or something of that nature.

NatureFish
????

What for? It's not going to have much in the way of cover for eggs or anything

No just feeder guppies to breed them because they are cheaper than getting a bunch of fancies.

No just feeder guppies to breed them because they are cheaper than getting a bunch of fancies.

Mosquito fish breed readily and you should be able to keep them year round or at least three seasons.

Temperatures around here drop to below freezing and the ponds not deep enough. Plus I have no where for them in winter. I was planning on putting in maybe six females and two males after the last frost (feeder guppies) then netting out everything as soon as the first frost comes.

Mine (mosquitofish) lived under the ice for a few weeks at a time. Pond is about about 18-20" deep.

Mine (mosquitofish) lived under the ice for a few weeks at a time. Pond is about about 18-20" deep.

You could lift the liner and dig down a good 3 feet and you could do this year round.

NatureFish
????

See I can't modify the pond. There's a five inch gravel layer and then dirt and boulders and who knows what else. My parents wouldn't possibly let me either.

See I can't modify the pond. There's a five inch gravel layer and then dirt and boulders and who knows what else. My parents wouldn't possibly let me either.

Awe. Well what you have will be fine then! :)

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom