Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pump Died, Time for DIY

Good Afternoon Everyone,

So my Penguin 200 is dead sand in the impeller it sounds like, i cant afford to get a proper filter for the tank right now,

So i do however have left over media and a pump from my pond, so here is my idea.

5 gallon bucket i got several sitting around.

The intake pipe from the penguin 200 fits in a 1/2 pvc pipe fitting, so it will still be the uptake, pvc running down to 5 gallon bucket.

Filter pads, then bio media, then rock at the bottom around the pump to keep anything from getting sucked in the impeller.

Pump outlet connected to pvc up and out of the lid of the bucket and then back into the tank

what do you guys think? Any feedback on the rough drawing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temporary filter.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	311364  

Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like it will work depending on how powerful the pump is. A lot of DIY canister filter videos on YouTube where they use a 5 gallon bucket. Might be worth it to check out.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mine is nearly 600gph from my pond that was damaged. Did a test and head height is way above,the aquarium
Old 12-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzle240 View Post
Mine is nearly 600gph from my pond that was damaged. Did a test and head height is way above,the aquarium

Side note , I kinda forgot about the fact it would have to be pressurized system and I can't really test it with the lid I have its not a screw on
Old 12-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow that's a lot of flow. Unless you have a really big tank then I think that is going to be to much flow. You dont have to use a screw on lid. You can use the lids that come on commercial 5 gallon buckets of pickles. They clamp down and have a gasket to seal it.

Tags
die, died, diy, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com