Pump Died, Time for DIY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tizzle240

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good Afternoon Everyone,

So my Penguin 200 is dead sand in the impeller it sounds like, i cant afford to get a proper filter for the tank right now,

So i do however have left over media and a pump from my pond, so here is my idea.

5 gallon bucket i got several sitting around.

The intake pipe from the penguin 200 fits in a 1/2 pvc pipe fitting, so it will still be the uptake, pvc running down to 5 gallon bucket.

Filter pads, then bio media, then rock at the bottom around the pump to keep anything from getting sucked in the impeller.

Pump outlet connected to pvc up and out of the lid of the bucket and then back into the tank

what do you guys think? Any feedback on the rough drawing?

Attachments

• temporary filter.jpg
    temporary filter.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 90
Looks like it will work depending on how powerful the pump is. A lot of DIY canister filter videos on YouTube where they use a 5 gallon bucket. Might be worth it to check out.

Wow that's a lot of flow. Unless you have a really big tank then I think that is going to be to much flow. You dont have to use a screw on lid. You can use the lids that come on commercial 5 gallon buckets of pickles. They clamp down and have a gasket to seal it.

Back
Top Bottom