Questions about the future of my goldies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, my aquaponics system is officially shut down for the season and my goldfish are hibernating in the tub below. I want to build then a pond ultimately, but I'll get to that in a minute.

1. Do I need a filter while they are hibernating? I currently have a pump running as an aeration/deicer, but no filter. I top up the tank as it evaporates. The tub doesn't freeze solid, but it freezes over if there's no water movement.

2. Formed pond or hole+liner? What are the pros/cons of plastic liners vs fabric?

3. Pond size. I have 8 goldfish that I want to have room for in the pond-how big will I NEED for something that will be low maintenance?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Following. Have you looked up when nitrifying bacteria go dormant at low temp?

Edit - also how much ammonia there would be at low temp anyways?

Alright, my aquaponics system is officially shut down for the season and my goldfish are hibernating in the tub below. I want to build then a pond ultimately, but I'll get to that in a minute.

1. Do I need a filter while they are hibernating? I currently have a pump running as an aeration/deicer, but no filter. I top up the tank as it evaporates. The tub doesn't freeze solid, but it freezes over if there's no water movement.

2. Formed pond or hole+liner? What are the pros/cons of plastic liners vs fabric?

3. Pond size. I have 8 goldfish that I want to have room for in the pond-how big will I NEED for something that will be low maintenance?

I don't have any of the answers you're looking for about this but I would put lots of money that jlk is the go to person when it comes to goldies. Send her a pm with a link to the thread so she could share it here.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Following. Have you looked up when nitrifying bacteria go dormant at low temp?

Edit - also how much ammonia there would be at low temp anyways?

That's a fine question, actually. I haven't tested the water for ammonia in ages. My line of thinking is that since their metabolic activity is near zero and they aren't receiving any food, I can get by without the mechanical filtration, since my "filter" is a large grow bed with clay media above the tub and I don't think it will take well to freezing temps. I'll be bringing in some aggregate and placing it in my indoor filters so that I have a good seed for the spring.

I clean out the occasional leaves, but as the tub is covered it doesn't get many of them.

That's a fine question, actually. I haven't tested the water for ammonia in ages. My line of thinking is that since their metabolic activity is near zero and they aren't receiving any food, I can get by without the mechanical filtration, since my "filter" is a large grow bed with clay media above the tub and I don't think it will take well to freezing temps. I'll be bringing in some aggregate and placing it in my indoor filters so that I have a good seed for the spring.

I clean out the occasional leaves, but as the tub is covered it doesn't get many of them.

Sounds nice. Couldn't find the link but guessing most ammonia would be ammonium at low temps.

Can't help much more I'm afraid. My neighbour has a pond but warm as toast here into summer.

Hi! Sorry about the delay but the holidays are hectic for me!

1. It depends. On large, outdoor systems in areas that water drops below 40f, filtration isn't a 'must'. In some situations, it may even be counter-productive. Circulation, water movement and a de-icer(s) are needed though as its vital that a pond keeps an open area for gas exchange.

Ammonia levels are a balancing act in this case. Temperature (as well as ph) play a huge role here in addition to fish not being fed once the temps drop into the low 50's. Not feeding is also for health reasons as metabolism and digestion slow to a crawl and any food remaining in the body will ferment causing a host of health problems.

For your tub, I would monitor temp, ph and ammonia levels and adjust your maintenance as needed. Just make sure you have adequate means in place to prevent it from freezing (particularly if you lose power).

2. Preformed rigid plastic liners are tough but tend to run very small size. They also need to be setup perfectly level to prevent cracking/splitting from water pressure. Many people use sand, foam or even old carpeting beneath them.

Liners vary in make and material and many people use materials outside of standard pond-labeled material (such as roof liner) or build clay or cement ponds. Lined ponds do offer a lot of flexibility for design and size.

It honestly depends on your soil, climate, budget and the amount of work needed.

3. More water equals less maintenance. No different than a tank (minimally stocked, that is!). A single betta in a gallon of water will require bunch more effort than a single betta in a 50g by itself.

So, base pond estimates tend to vary a bit from 5g per inch of fish to 10g per inch of fish (on up, depending on type). These are base estimates and do not account for future growth. These estimates start off a 50-100g base (on up, depending on type of fish).

Best advice I can offer is to start big then go bigger than you think is necessary to create a nice margin of error. Remember, the likelihood that guys will eventually breed is a very real possibility, too, and that other creatures will come to inhabit your pond as well (whether you want them to or not!).

Hope this helps a bit! Feel free to ask any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom