Red Finned Sunfish I.D. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmannew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me I.D. this sunfish/sunperch. I caught the little guy in east Texas in a crawfish trap and he was so awesome looking I had to keep him. He's about 2-1/2" long and has beautiful red fins. I have him in my 36 gallon bow front with some other native fish (dollar sunfish & bluegill) and some rainbows and other misc fish for around 2 weeks. He gets along great with everyone and will eat pretty much anything I put in the tank. I've been looking every now and then since I've gotten him and I can't find out what he is. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429923025.517363.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429923068.817897.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429923084.530545.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429923101.156812.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429924207.847583.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429924221.073346.jpg

Here's a couple more pictures of him in the tank. He's pretty active so I have gotten a great picture of him...

I'm not to sure, but based on most sunfish he will max out at about 8" in captivity probably

Here again, send the photo and question to Johnas Aquarium or Zimmermann's and they can tell you.

Just the average perch, they all have different colorations. There are a lot of sub species, so it would be hard to identify it. Look up native fish in your state and see if you can find a match.

Just the average perch, they all have different colorations. There are a lot of sub species, so it would be hard to identify it. Look up native fish in your state and see if you can find a match.
That's not a perch, but it is a type of sunfish, perch are usually more elongated

It is a red-spotted sunfish, very active. I have several and they all eat out of my hand underwater. Very cool fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's not a perch, but it is a type of sunfish, perch are usually more elongated

Sorry my bad, it's the common names and things that we just quickly call the fish in the 30 seconds it takes to catch, unhook and release them. I say the average perch because there are lots of different types and it's among the small kinds of fish that you can normally catch around docks.

Back
Top Bottom