"relocating" water lillies from lake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My pond is now about 4 weeks old. I am slowly populating it with fish and plants. I am hesitant to pay $35 for a small water lily since my pond is mostly shaded and I don't think it would flower. And, well, I guess I'm cheap.

My brother-in-law lives on a small lake loaded with water lillies. I'd like to "relocate" a few into my pond (that's not really stealing, is it?).

However, I think I recall reading that it isn't a good idea, although I can't remember why. Maybe something about bringing something unwanted into my pond. Algae, parasites, etc?

Is there any reason I would regret taking a few?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You should check what the local law is in your state, while unlikely, it is possible that it could be a crime to relocate the flowers. Other than that, you could introduce snails and parasites to your pond, although it seems to me there is a way to "disinfect" the plants prior I'll see if I can find it i to putting them in the pond.f one of our plant gurus doesn't get to it first :wink:

Here the large pot of lillies is $30, but the small are only $12. The small ones got pretty big themselves, two small would be better than one big imo. The hardy kind did just fine over the winter at the bottom of my old pond, only 2' deep. Parts of the pond get a good amount of shade, and the lilly seemed to do fine.

I didn't think about it being criminally wrong, just morally wrong. I'll check the law. Thanks for the suggestion -- doesn't really seem worth the risk of breaking the law. I'd rather shell out the $35!

As for smaller plants selling for $12, I've never seen them that cheap around here (I'm in the Detroit area). I wondered about buying plants online, but don't know of a reputable dealer. Any suggestions?

Thanks

reefrunner is correct, collecting could be illegal, without permits and whatever hoops your state makes you jump through. Also, they usually grow in some seriously yucky mud bottoms, gettin a tuber and roots out of there would prolly be a seriously dirty and difficult chore.

If you choose to get one anyway, after retriveing it from the lake, claean all dirt off with the garden hose, and dip it in a bucket of bleach water solution, 1 teaspoon bleach per gallon, for 2-3 minutes. that should kill any nasties.

Just do a google search for pond plants, you'll come up with tons. I've purchased all mine locally, so never orderd lillies and such online. I imagine they would be shipped bare root, as shipping a heavy pot of dirt would cost $$$. If you get a bare root plant, you'll need to have a plastic pot to plant it in, and heavy dirt or aquatic soil

Taking all these things into account, I think you may be better off just shelling out the 35 bucks. (I can relate, I'm cheap too!) Keep in mind that a hardy water lilly will live for many years with proper care, so it's not that bad in the long run.

Ah, just thought of something else, if you can wait till the end of the season, the pond nurseries usually have SERIOUS discounts, at least around here.

Hmm..you make some good points. When I stop to think about trying to dig the plants out of the lake, then doing the bleaching solution, it sounds like a lot of trouble.

I like the idea of waiting for the end of the season sales. Maybe I'll buy one full price now, and buy more when they're on sale.

Thanks!

I have to learn patience. I want to make my pond look like it's been there forever, not just a month. I guess that doesn't happen over night. Later this summer and especially next summer it will look great.

Very good point, pick up a couple of the hardy water lillies at the end of the year and just let the pots sit in the deepest part of your pond. Mine froze solid this winter and 3 of 3 lillies lived.

Back
Top Bottom