Removing tannins in a pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Suggestions? Will purigen remove tannins and can I get enough for a 55 gallon filter at a decent price? I still need better sponges for it, but I get a lot of leaves in the fall so the water is tea colored and you can't see the bottom.

Yes, it does. However, you may need quite a bit of it to do any good. I fully saturated a 100 mL Purigen pouch with driftwood tannins in a 20g tank over a short period of time.
A better investment for next season might be a bird net (possibly in a frame) to spread over the pond. This should catch a majority of fallen leaves.

Yes, it does. However, you may need quite a bit of it to do any good. I fully saturated a 100 mL Purigen pouch with driftwood tannins in a 20g tank over a short period of time.
A better investment for next season might be a bird net (possibly in a frame) to spread over the pond. This should catch a majority of fallen leaves.
The pond is located under two oak trees to protect from birds in the summer. I put up netting in the fall, but the leaves still end up in the pond until I pull them out with the net.

I couldn't find anything to suggest it would just looking on the internet. Would activated carbon be possible? Say in a mesh bag at filter outflow.

Would barley straw help?

I've used that to combat free floating algae.
I googled it and a few hits mentioned activated carbon. I did not note the amount per gallon needed. At that rate, you could try 1 or 2 100 mL bags of Purigen (I know I mentioned the cost effectiveness earlier).
I do wonder if the tannins will decrease over time assuming all leaves have been removed from the water.

That's all I could find as well on the straw combating algae. There have been threads on this but only had a quick look.

Thanks guys. I've got to get sponges for this filter too. All I had have are a ton of bioballs in two mesh bags. I've got until spring though, everything is in hibernation mode right now.

I have a small pond and its under several white and turkey oaks. I know this doesn't help but I gave up keeping leaves out. Im in Florida so really is only a big issue 4 months a year give or take.
Floaters help and so does a pleco

I have a small pond and its under several white and turkey oaks. I know this doesn't help but I gave up keeping leaves out. Im in Florida so really is only a big issue 4 months a year give or take.
Floaters help and so does a pleco
I've heard if a common pleco living in an unheated pond much smaller than mine and wintering over, but I'm not sure if I believe it. My pond is located under two white oaks and meeting is the only thing that keeps leaves off the bottom and allows me to pull them out. I think I will benefit from better filtration this year, too and that should help.

Back
Top Bottom