Rubbermaid stock tank drain...what size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassbird

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank that came with a "factory installed" drain hole at the bottom, on the side. I want to be able to remove the screw-in plug, and add a garden hose with an on/off switch. This stock tank houses my pond fish during the winter, and water changes will be so much easier if I could just attach a hose, put the other end outside, and flip a lever!

At the moment, I cannot remove the plug and measure it...the tank is filled with water and fish. Just by looking at it, it does not seem to be the same size as a garden hose. Does anyone know what size the drain hole is on a Rubbermaid stock tank? (I am hoping to be able to find an adapter.)

Yes! Thank you! I had looked at a different website that did not have the info I needed. Looks like I gave up too quickly!

Now, if I can find an adapter, I will be set!:p

Yay!

I just use a length of flexible vinyl hose to attach my garden hose to my faucet which has no thread & is different size. Maybe you can use the same idea - Garden hose (male end) to a short piece of 7/8" vinyl hose (heat in boiling water to soften, fit over hose & it will shrink to a tight fit, good as a barbed fitting.). Other end of vinyl hose to a barbed fitting (1" barbed on one end, slip on the other). Get a reducer to go from the 1.5" drain to 1" <1.5x1 slip/slip> and you should be able to hook everything together.

It is a matter of going to a hardware store plumbing aisle & finding things that will fit.

I ended up "going to a hardware store plumbing aisle and finding things that fit"! I found a "bushing" that went from 1 and 1/2 inches down to 3/4 inches, and then bought a "nipple" that screwed into the 3/4 inch end of the bushing, giving me a threaded male end that a garden hose will screw onto perfectly. Actually, I will be putting a hose adapter sort of thing on first, with an on/off switch (sorry, I am sure this piece has a name, but I do not know it). Then the end will get a screw-on cap for now...sort of a double safety mechanism. It would be really bad if the on/off lever ever got knocked into the "on" position... a flood in my basement, and many dead fish!

When it comes time for a water change, I will remove the cap, screw on a hose, flip the switch...ta da! (And put the draining end of the hose outside...small detail...)

Back
Top Bottom