Shubunkin staying at the bottom HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allankato1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

One of my Shubunkin has styled at the bottom of my tank for two days now, and is staying away from the rest of the fish, I have tested ammonia it's perfect o.o also ph is fine, I have 5 small ones the rest are fine, there are no spots or any sights of disease, it actually looks really well shiny and vibrant colours, my wife noticed that the fish the had a bump near its stomach so I don't know if its got eggs or not???

Please help any advice would be great

I change 50% water every weeks have 30 litre tank with filter pump

Hi everyone,

One of my Shubunkin has styled at the bottom of my tank for two days now, and is staying away from the rest of the fish, I have tested ammonia it's perfect o.o also ph is fine, I have 5 small ones the rest are fine, there are no spots or any sights of disease, it actually looks really well shiny and vibrant colours, my wife noticed that the fish the had a bump near its stomach so I don't know if its got eggs or not???

Please help any advice would be great

I change 50% water every weeks have 30 litre tank with filter pump
:nono:
Sorry, but a 30 litre (8 US gal) isn't big enough for one goldfish. Especially a shubunkin. Even if you did 100% water changes daily.
It won't be eggs. Maybe a tumor?
Was the pet store aware of the size of your tank when they sold you 6 pond fish? :banghead:

Hi,

Yes they were aware and I have researched many sites books and info, it's very hot at the moment in Japan, and trying to keep the tank cool is a challenge, she died today, very sad! she was much smaller than the others and didn't seem to feed very well. Couldn't eat so good having watched her many times. I say her because she was cute. But don't know the sex.

Hi,

Yes they were aware and I have researched many sites books and info, it's very hot at the moment in Japan, and trying to keep the tank cool is a challenge, she died today, very sad! she was much smaller than the others and didn't seem to feed very well. Couldn't eat so good having watched her many times. I say her because she was cute. But don't know the sex.

I guess pet stores in Japan are pretty bad with information. I heard the UK is excellent with the information, but America is hit or miss :/

Yes, 8 gallons is waaay too small for gold fish. You had 6 in there?

Any experienced hobbyist will advise you to get those fish out of there into bigger tanks. Even a make shift tank of tupperware bins that are at least 20 gallons, would be better than keeping them in an 8 gallon. Goldfish are really messy, and especially if you haven't properly cycled the tank, it can definitely mean a death sentence.

8 gallons would be fine for some smaller fish, but not gold fish.

Hope everything pans out :/

I guess pet stores in Japan are pretty bad with information. I heard the UK is excellent with the information, but America is hit or miss :/

Yes, 8 gallons is waaay too small for gold fish. You had 6 in there?

Any experienced hobbyist will advise you to get those fish out of there into bigger tanks. Even a make shift tank of tupperware bins that are at least 20 gallons, would be better than keeping them in an 8 gallon. Goldfish are really messy, and especially if you haven't properly cycled the tank, it can definitely mean a death sentence.

8 gallons would be fine for some smaller fish, but not gold fish.

Hope everything pans out :/

What I would do is,

Take all fish back
Either buy a waaaaaaaay bigger tank (200g) or find fish to put in there that fit (bettas would go great or a few nano fish and shrimp)

Feed it boiled shelled peas and quarintine it. It may be getting the beginnings of swim bladder.

Back
Top Bottom