Small goldfish with dropsy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all.
Today i I purchased a small common goldfish from the pet store and put it an a quarantine tank. He has been really active swimming around happy and eating but there is one thing that worries me. If I look really close from about it looks like his scales are slightly starting to stick out. It is hardly noticeable but it still worries me. Wast of time taking a pic because you won't be able to see but it is there. Should I give him an epsom salt bath or what?? Please help.

Take him back to the store. Most reputable stores have a 14 day guarantee on their fish and aquatic pets. Then, buy another fish from a different store, as all the fish from the previous store may be infected if there's a bacterial cause.

I is not worth taking him back because he was so cheap. Is there any way i can help him? I plan to add him to my pond in the future. Plus he was the only yellow goldfish there and he looks cool

I've never had much luck curing Dropsy, but you can try raising the tank temp (slowly) to about 80 degrees F, then adding your epsom salt. You can also try a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and, if that doesn't work, maybe a parasitical treatment, although those aren't known for being too effective. Good luck. Let us know how it goes, and which treatment worked best if you can cure it.

I gave him an epsom salt bath yesterday and ever since then the fish has been pooping alot. Like constant. Some of it gets longer than the actual fish!!?is this a good sign or bad?

Yes he does seem to be having a hard time getting it out but the epsom salt helped a lot. He is to small to eat a pea but will cut it small enough for him

Back
Top Bottom