Snakes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK well let me start by saying upfront, Im totally new to the pond idea and am curious about snakes. I live in coastal NC and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with local snakes wandering into their ponds. Any help is appreciated!

I had one come it, wasn't really a big deal. Snakes should leave your fish alone, but they might go after your amphibian friends. I think I had the opposite happen, the friendly garter snake soon stopped showing up in my pond once I added my giant bullfrog.

My sister had a pond in South Eastern NC....she lived close to a river and 3 times the first summer she had to have water moccasins removed from the pond....one would take up residence and eat all her fish.....she would have a neighbor come over...pull it out...then shoot it.....she would re-stock the pond (man big koi are expensive) and 3 weeks later another one would come in.

I've had black snakes, garter snakes and worm snakes visit my pond area, never actually seen any in the pond. I wouldn't be surprised if they have taken a fish or frog from time to time. Mostly see them in the spring, they come to bask on the rocks and warm up. One year I had garter snakes doing their breeding thing out on the rocks, pretty neat. The worm snakes live in and around the rocks year-round. I can flip over a few rocks and find one or two almost any time I want.

she lived close to a river and 3 times the first summer she had to have water moccasins removed from the pond....one would take up residence and eat all her fish.....she would have a neighbor come over...pull it out...then shoot it.....

I don't understand why people find it neccesary to kill snakes. Why not just drive it to a wild area and let it go? I've come across some poisionous snakes in my fishing trips (local, water moccasins, Western MD, rattlesnakes, timber rattlers I think). You leave them alone, they leave you alone. If you have someone willing and skilled enough to pull it out of the pond without getting bitten, it shouldn't be that hard to put it in a trash can or something secure, then drive it outta town and release it.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh or judgemental, but I have strongly held opinions on these matters. We are squeezing out all kinds of wildlife and random killing like that bothers me. Water moccasins are not too common up my way, are there so many in South Eastern NC that they are considered a hazard, or vermin? If that's the case I'd understand killng them, otherwise, I don't get it.

NewFishGuy, I apologize if I offended you in any way. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Corvus,

We are squeezing out all of our wildlife & snakes are not vermin. I love them & study them along with frogs & lizards. However, poisonous snakes & people generally don't mix well so euthanasia is no unreasonable for snakes that start to live in urban areas.

The other reason it is a viable option is because studies show that when you relocate snakes (the ones I am familiar with specifically are rattlesnakes) 1 of 3 things happen

1) there are already snakes living there so their is not enough resources for more in that region so they starve to death
2) the snake tries to get home & usually ends up dead on the road
3) the snake does not know its way around this unfamiliar territory & is easy prey for lots of predators

Actually only about 10% of relocated snakes at most seem to survive. In my mind it is much kinder to kill the animal humanely than put them in a stressful situation where it will probably die.

That being said any snake that is not poisonous can peacefully coexist with humans. Garter snakes will eat a few frogs and tadpoles if they are around but if you have mosquito fish in your pond which breed like rabbits they will happily munch those down too. I am so jealous that you have mating garter snakes at your pond. The one I released in mine last year did not stay around despite the fact that it didn't have competition & my pair of natives which usually have 12-24 babies every year are so old they have stopped reproducing. Oh well, maybe this year I can find some little ones.

I totally understand your impatience with random killings. Detering poisonous snakes with a small electric fence around the pond would help but if I kept having water moccasins colonize I would just stock with some fast reproducing fish & try getting another species of fish eating snake to colonize my pond so they wouldn't be attracted. But if they became a real problem I would not hesitate to euthanize one.

Thanks for the helpful incite guys. Where I live moccasions are a real problem but I always try and get them out of the area before shooting them. (Just the treehugger in me I guess, lol) BTW, corvuscorax, is that a basset or a blue tick coonhound for your avatar. He looks a lot like my coonhound! Great pick in dog whatever breed it is!

Dudley the Basset hound (he does have a good bit of ticking on him, you know your hound stuff)! Getting another this weekend!

corvuscorax said:
NewFishGuy, I apologize if I offended you in any way. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Corvus...no offense taken. In no way am I for the unwarranted killing of anything....however, here in Wilmington, Water Moccassins ARE a problem. There are a number of bites by this very poisonous snake each year in New hanover and Brunswick Counties. During the summer when this was occuring, my sister was a single mother with 2 children under the age of 10. There was going to be no taking chances. I happen to agree with you in some respects.....But I am also of the belief that anything that is hazardous to humans and has a propensity to wander into repeated contact with humans needs to be taken care of.

Anyway...no offense was taken at all.....

NewFishGuy,

There is a rather good snakebite kit on the market that uses a very strong suction device to draw out venom. In tests it removed up to 70% or so of if applied within one minute. It is so easy to use that even kids could do it so it might be worth investing in one just in case. When I work in the tropics where poisonous snakes are very common I just carry one with me all the time.

You can PM me if you are interested in the details.

Back
Top Bottom