Some Food Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it was one of those types of filter pads that had resins in it that absorb ammonia or nitrites, then it will eventually be exhausted and not work any more. Such pads have to be replaced as their ability to ad/absorb is used up.

You are better off using ordinary filter sponge and floss and cleaning them in tank water as often as need be, they will last a long, long time. Years for sponge, months for floss, depending how often it is cleaned. When it begins to get very ragged, replace it, half at a time. Both grow nice colonies of BB, which are what you need to control ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates are always controlled by water changes, or use of plants in some tanks.

Fish can be carnivores, omnivores or vegetarians. But even carnivores need some veggie content, which in nature probably comes from the guts of their prey.

Goldfish are mainly vegetarian, but all fish get most of their energy from fats, rather than carbs. This is why fats are so important for fry growth and health. If you feed a high quality staple diet with plenty of spirulina in it, supplemented with some fresh veggies, that would be my best recommendation. There are supplements I've heard of designed to enhance the growth of the wen, but I am sorry that I know nothing about them other than the fact that they exist. I'd try a google search for such specialty items.

Back
Top Bottom