stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
well after an agressive disease wiped out almost all my fish(only 6 goldies left) i get to come up with a new stocking idea.

pond: 165gal
fish i have: 3: 3 inch comets
1: 6inch shubinkin
2: 2-4 inch fanitails

I want some smaller fish, so i was thinking some feeder minnows(rosy reds, fatheads) i also i have a freinds that keeps mollies and platies in her pond, i think i might try that too, but only if you guys agree with it. I am thinking maybe 2 more goldies too.

I've been lokking for a jikin goldfish everywhere! cant find one, i'd really love on.

Any more ideas of what could live in my pond?

I had thought of keeping some aquarium-type fish in the pond, but I couldn't over winter them here. I know rosy reds have been suggested for ponds before.

As far as how much to stock, I'm not sure. I've had a pond for 2+ years, and just got (back) into aquariums. It seems the same type of rules should apply, just on a different scale. I don't do a lot of maintenance on the pond. empty the leaf basket weekly,clean out the filter monthly, top it off with water. That being said, I have 5 shubunkins and a frog in a ~600 gallon pond. In aquarium terms, I am way understocked, but for my maintenance I am about right (could probably add another fish or two). But for aquariums, we have 5 -10x water turnover and 20-50% weekly pwc's. If I had a 6000gph pump and equally sized filter I could add a lot more fish!

I know of people who live in Florida that have an outdoor tropical-fish pond, though the fish may be hard to see due to size. (I don't see anything really interesting when viewing my aquarium from the top.) Really depends on your climate and water quality.

thanks for the help. I think i will go with rosy reds. And i do a 30% PWC every other week in my pond. CLean the filter every other day and top it off when it gets low. Mine is a little higher mainteneance, but it is also very low tech.

I could only imagine doing a pwc for my pond. 180 gallons / 2.5gallon bucket = aching back! :)

Back
Top Bottom