Stunted gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy 1077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a goldfish has been stunted can it be unstunted if it is put in a large aquarium by its self

Sadly, no, stunting cannot be undone. That said, a stunted fish might still grow a little bit in a larger tank. At the very least though, a larger tank will provide better quality of life for the fish than a tank that's too small. Are you sure your fish is stunted? How old is he and how many inches approximately does he measure?

I have had him for about 6 to 7 months and he is only about 2 to 2 1/2 inches :(

That does seem small, but doesn't necessarily guarantee he's stunted. I'll give you an example. My comets (who need to be in 100 gallons of water per fish) were kept in less than two cups of water (not by me!!!) by their first owner for the first 8 months of their life. I thought they'd be terribly stunted because at over a year old, they were barely an inch. But I put them in a larger tank and they suddenly started growing an inch every three weeks and rapidly caught up to a normal size for their age. I would highly suggest you get a larger tank. It won't hurt him. It can only help. :) Is he a fancy goldfish? How big is his tank right now?

All by himself? If that's the case and you got him as a baby, he shouldn't be stunted. 55 gallons for one fancy is perfect! :)

We'll he is in a 55 gallon tank now he was in a 15 gallon with 3 other ones

I see. Well, he's in a great new home now and he's still young. Goldfish do most of their growing in the first two or three years. He may not be stunted yet. There's hope yet. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom