Sudden Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ParadoxOwl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had to recently move some fish into a second established tank due to a stand problem where the stand is breaking. We had to quickly drain the tank and move the fish. Now, these fish have lived together before with no issues.

This morning, 2 of my fantails, one Oranda, and one weensie Black Moor started biting and chasing my Oranda, Mutant around the tank! They pinned him to a corner and all took turns biting his butt and sometimes his side. I quickly removed him and set him up in a QT tank I had running.

He's acting weird, laying on the bottom of the tank. He's breathing ok, eats ok, and swims sometimes but more resting than swimming.

He's been treated for flukes, ich, and fungus (as have all my fish) so I am at a total loss for this. They all got along great until this morning.

46 to a 46. All the fish are small. The biggest being 1 3/4" and the smallest 3/4".

There's also 2 750gph filters attached.

Since I removed Mutant, they are behaving normally. Swimming peacefully. Mutant still seems to be acting odd. Lying on the gravel or just keeping his head against the side of the tank.

Other fish will antagonize (or even start to eat) a sick, weak or dying fish. These guys are too small for dominant or breeding behavior to show and the tank size is the same so its not aggression from lack of space. Mutant does not sound well. Aside from the sitting/laying/leaning, does he have any other symptoms? Red veining, discoloration, spots or sores, heavy breathing, anything else unusual?

He doesn't lean, no marks, spots, or anything. He eats like a pig, but then again he always has so, i just watch how much i feed him. After I moved him, i went to bed, and when I woke up, he was fine. Swam over to say hi like always. I'm thinking of keeping him in QT until I get the new tank set up and maybe even a few days after that.

He looks like maybe a scale or two got .. i want to say knocked out of place. Or maybe wounded? I added some Tetra that's supposed to fix hurt scales just in case.

Could the stress of the move have caused this sudden aggression?

I honestly through out the bottle. It was a water conditioner that said it had aloe in it. I also added API StressZyme.

Back
Top Bottom