Sudden cloudy water in goldfish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenPanda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please could someone help me, I have been treating my tank for two and a half weeks now with salt as my goldies had a nasty case of ick, it's seems to have cleared up and so last Friday I added some fin rot/anti fungal medicine as their tail fins in particular we're very red and torn looking.
I obviously have been keeping an eye on my water parameters and so far have been fine, however I woke up this morning and noticed my tank water is cloudy.
I tested my parameters again and my ph seems to have dropped quite a bit, it usually sits around 7.2/7.3

Here's the results this morning:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm
Ph - 6.4

I am due to do a 50% w/c today anyway as I have been doing this every other day to help get rid of the ick.
Will this clear up the cloudiness or will it come back?
What could have cause my ph to drop?
I was planning on stopping with the salt by the end of this week. Could it be the salt that has caused this or even the fin rot treatment?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

So I changed 50% water this morning and it is still really cloudy.
Anyone, anyone at all have any ideas what and why this could be happening???

How much salt is in the tank? Exactly what type of med did you add?

Salt would not cause a ph drop nor cloudiness but many other meds can result in both. I would continue with wcs as your ph has dropped significantly and may have a negative impact on both your fish and your good bacteria. Keep a close eye on your parameters.

It would be worthwhile to double check your tap ph levels (after gassing off for 24hrs) as levels can vary quite a bit.

I followed the salt treatment you advised to me on another thread as my goldfish had ick.
I did a 50% water change yesterday morning and I tested the water again this morning, the ph is back up to 7/7.2 ish. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0.
The medication I used is the interpet anti fungus and finrot.
I did a lot of googling yesterday and from what iv read it would seems that something (the medicine perhaps) has caused a bacterial bloom, I Suppose I just have to keep an eye on my parameters and hope it doesn't get any worse and sorts itself out. Iv also added an extra couple of air lines and stones to help oxygenate the water some more. Is there anything else I should do?

So far so good thanks, my fish seems healthy and happy and the cloudiness seems to have cleared up, but still keeping a close eye on all the parameters just in case! :)

Back
Top Bottom