Summer Native Tank Build- Help Appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the set up, you will probably need a powerhead, as they are very oxygen demanding, and they love planted tanks, and rocks can work too. And if its not too costly they like sand too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For the set up, you will probably need a powerhead, as they are very oxygen demanding, and they love planted tanks, and rocks can work too. And if its not too costly they like sand too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would fine gravel work? It's quite small. I had it in another aquarium before changing to sand.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Never release native fish that have been kept in captivity back into the wild. Bluegills will not coexist with tetras, the bluegills will eat them. And a 40B is not large enough long term for multiple bluegills. I would focus on some small natives such as minnows or darters, much more suited to a 40B.

Never release native fish that have been kept in captivity back into the wild. Bluegills will not coexist with tetras, the bluegills will eat them. And a 40B is not large enough long term for multiple bluegills. I would focus on some small natives such as minnows or darters, much more suited to a 40B.

Thanks :) I am looking towards some species of minnow if I can catch some. Definitely not getting a bigger tank just to have a bluegill when their are other natives.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425858569.047123.jpg

So far this is what I've got. My dad has plenty of wood in his shop to choose from.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Why not get a couple of fancy goldfish breed as pets. Leave the native fish in the lake.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Cabinet plan looks pretty good - you should be able to have it pretty tall, since the 40B is such a low tank. Several sites online sell many different types of natives - some, like the darters, minnows, and various native sunfish can be quite colorful. One of the major issues with natives is their requirement in most cases for live food, however some can be converted to frozen or even flake food. If you collect your own, always be sure and do so ethically, follow local laws and regulations regarding collection of native species, and never ever return natives or nonnatives to the wild, after they have been in captivity. It is also not advisable to mix natives with tropicals.

Why not get a couple of fancy goldfish breed as pets. Leave the native fish in the lake.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Cabinet plan looks pretty good - you should be able to have it pretty tall, since the 40B is such a low tank. Several sites online sell many different types of natives - some, like the darters, minnows, and various native sunfish can be quite colorful. One of the major issues with natives is their requirement in most cases for live food, however some can be converted to frozen or even flake food. If you collect your own, always be sure and do so ethically, follow local laws and regulations regarding collection of native species, and never ever return natives or nonnatives to the wild, after they have been in captivity. It is also not advisable to mix natives with tropicals.

I got 54 tropical fish. 53 coming from an LFS. I want to try natives as something different and isn't largely expensive like saltwater.

I would love to have some crayfish. I've read that eat about anything. Going to snoop around Google for a variety of native fish that stay smaller.

I have seen varying opinions on natives with tropicals. Some natives prefer warmer temperatures. But like I said I have 54 tropical fish, don't need anymore right now.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have a brown gravel substrate from my 45 that I changed out for sand. The gravel is very fine not sharp. Would this be okay? I don't plan on any Cory cats or loaches so I assume it will be okay. Being brown I'm sure it wouldn't really stick out.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Actually... Give me some cool suggestions my fish people :) pics preferred.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What type of suggestions? I'm guessing fish but you were just talking about gravel so just want some clarification.

Personally I like brown gravel, much more of a natural streambed look. If you are leaning more towards a lake setting, then you might consider a sand or a sand/gravel mixture.

I think a lake setting would be really cool. I for one am a fan of darker color gravel it makes the colors stand out.

Sorry for the confusion yes I was referring to smaller native fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom