Swampy Smelling Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use my nose for regular "odor checks" - and I can tell when the water is healthy and when it's not. Carefully clean ALL the nooks and crannies of the HOB filter and the glass top. Try your best to thoroughly clean the undersides of the glass top, the tank's top edge rim (which supports the glass top, holds it in place).

One day, while doing a super-thorough cleaning, by simply using paper towel wiped under that edge rim/lip - I was shocked at how much gunk, algae, and scum had accumulated under that lip. Given the proximity of the heaviest gunk growth to the splash zone of my aeration stone (the water surface area under the glass lid) - I was made aware of just how the heavily oxygenated moisture breeds algae.

I had some serious battles with algae growth, in the tank, and suddenly, my canister filter. I dropped my guard of frequent chem tests, (got lazy because everything was perfect week after week...) and my Rates must have spiked without me knowing it. Warm water (78-80f) plus high rates plus a pesky algae presence equals a run-away algae bloom. It clogged my filter, ruined my ammo-carb, overpowered my bio-mech and completely destroyed my nitrogen cycle.

I didn't have a strong "sulphur" odor (if that's what you mean by swampy), but there was a strong mildew odor, and the water just didn't smell "healthy". It smelled bad though, but not sulfur-ish bad.

If your tank is truly out of cycle, you lose/risk nothing by doing a complete filtration make-over: new filter elements, new media. Jump-start BB presence with a BB starter, and carefully manage WCs while your cycle gets going. Such a filter rebuild will ensure you've eliminated any source in there as a negative source of bad bacteria, algae, etc.

Good luck, please let us know how it progresses.

from iPad using Aquarium Advice
29 gal, fresh water, fluval 206 with ammo-carb + mech, replacing gravel with sand and live plants

Thanks Mapexmac007,

It is not a Sulfer smell, it is more like the Mildew/algae smell.

I did just finish rinsing all the media in my Canister with aquarium water. I did not scrub it all down.

I do need to do that with my Marineland Emperor 400 though. I have replaced media and rinsed foam pads, but have not pulled it off the tank and cleaned the plastic. I will work on that tomorrow. I will also wipe under the entire rim while it is off.

I think you are on to something there, as others have mentioned along with the glass lid. I do clean the lid, but I rubbed under a little section of the top rim and it was quite nasty.

Again, thanks to Everyone for all the great advice!! I really like this site and am considering becoming a paying member!

You're welcome! Hey, I forgot to mention, since you've got a canister filter; SNAKE THOSE HOSES! m

My word how gunked-up they get!! Depending on the bio-load, they'll need periodic cleaning every 2-6 months.

My Fluval 206 is keeping pace with my two Veil Tails; filtration is just about maxed at their current size, just under 5 inches each.

When I completely rebuilt my filter some four-five weeks ago, I snaked the hoses. YIKES!! So yeah, if you're chasing this mysterious condition, you've got to check all of these hidden places.

Best -
MM007

29 gal, fresh water, fluval 206 with ammo-carb + mech, replacing gravel with sand and live plants

The Hoses!! :facepalm:

Oh Yeah, the canister has the ridged hoses... Wonder why they did not go with smooth hoses?

I need to get a long brush!! Not exactly sure how to tackle that. The Fluval 406 seals off just above the canister. If you open that.... The aquarium would empty out in your face. I assume you totally have to take the hoses down. That is a Big Project!!!

clesn long rigid hoses

I get pipe cleaners from the craft section and twist them together until they are long enough then twist them till they are fat enough to go just through the hose them brush back and forth until they come somewhat clean then rinse under faucet wide open flow so it flushes it out this may help you sk

On the Fluval 206, I close the flow valve completely, prior to any WC. In this state, you can remove the hose valve assembly from the top of the motor housing (top) of the filter. I'm not sure if the 406 disassembles in the same manner...

At this point, as the hoses are just hanging there (water sealed in via the closed valve), I can remove them from the tank and take them to the sink, open the valve, drain the hoses, and begin the cleaning process.

I bought a hose cleaning snake on Amazon, nearly 40" in length - two size brush ends. VERY affordable (I think something like $15??), very effective.

As a product designer, I think Fluval's corrugated hose - while rigid to prevent collapse (from suction) - the corrugated is a gunk trap! Grrrrrr

There are vinyl hoses manufactured which have a braided strengthening mesh built into the hose wall. These are often a translucent material, which would aid us aquarists in being able to see when the tube/hose needs cleaning. WHY doesn't Fluval/Hagen revise this hose construction??

Your welcome! Happy to help. I don't recall the name of the hose snake/brush. I'll see if I can dig up the Amazon reference and I'll pass it along. It's just about the only means to super-scrub those hoses!

I'm sure there are several DIY hacks which may indeed work, however, I personally don't want to risk anything getting stuck in those pipes. That would take-down the filter for far longer than I'd want for my aquarium.

Stay tuned, I'll have to research my Amazon purchase history.

I'm a Eheim girl. Hose tubes very easy to clean. Hope you get those nitrates down.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OK, on Amazon, the hose snake is:

Jardin Aquarium Water Filter Pipe Air Tube Hose Stainless Steel Cleaner. (Couldn't get to the product number, sorry)

It's a whopping $3.16, from "Mall of America" on Amazon. Stainless steel snake with decent stiff nylon bristles on each end. For $3.16 plus shipping, you can't go wrong. It's got to be less costly than any DIY (not that I"m opposed to DIY, believe me).

Check it out Tiger, and clean those pipes!

Smell is Getting Better!!!

Thanks again,

I did find them, but it says delivery would be by early January!!!
I will look at my LFS.

I rinsed all the media in my Canister last night and today the NitrAtes are still in the Red!! Frustrating!!

Did a 45% water change, wiped under the entire rim (where I did find some Gunk under the HOB Filter waterfalls) and cleaned the glass.

The Smell is Getting Better!!!! I think the combo of frequent water changes, (dealing with the Nitrate issue) reducing the feeding to one or two very light feedings per day and cleaning the rim and glass are helping.

Still have to clean the inside of the HOB (but that sucker is heavy and I have neck issues) and it is close to the wall on the back of a 75 gallon tank which is 18" front to back, and the tank is in the Corner of the room... Ugh.

Hi Tiger...

Sorry 'bout those frustrations! :banghead: I empathize with you in your distress.

On the hose cleaner, if you're up for a DIY, I was about to do this myself (before I discovered those snake brushes on Amazon) — local hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Osh, Ace/Arrow, etc):

• buy a length of metal chain, approx. 6 inches longer than your longest hose...
  • take some scrap t-shirt cloth, cut a ribbon of material about 1 inch wide and maybe 10 inches long.
  • tie the cloth through the last link of chain, make it a double knot, mid-way through the cloth strip.
  • wrap the loose ends of the cloth around the last few links a few times, to thicken-up the cloth — it should be a little wider/thicker than your hose's interior
  • with your hose emptied of water (yet still moist of course) drop the chain through the hose, non-cloth end first.
  • gently pull the chain and cloth swab through the hose. You may have to rinse-off the cloth after its first pass.

Make a few passes with this method. It will do a better job than simply flushing water (alone) through the hoses. I'd use hot water alone, no detergent.

Of course, if your LFS has the bottle brush snake, go for it. Those bristles are just about the only way to get into the nooks and crannies of Fluval's corrugated hose.

Keep up the handwork on those WCs. As much of a chore as they are, they'll do more for your fish's health than anything else. Until the stressed BB re-stabalizes, you've got a little battle on your hands.

Thanks again MM007!! That is an interesting solution. I have a big Tropical Fish Store (not too far from me) that I believe has items like the long bottle brush, but if not the Chain idea is Quite Good!!!

Back
Top Bottom