Tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been browsing the forum today and came to the conclusion that my goldfish tank may be overstocked? It is a 40 gallon with a 50-75gallon HOB fluval filter with 3 bubblers of varying bubble "intensity". I do partial changes every week, gravel vac, routine filter media changes and rinsing, and I check the levels all the time, and nothing has ever been abnormal. I have 2 calicos, 2 bubble eyes (black moors?) and 2 orandas. They have been together for quite some time now and have all been happy and healthy with no problems. They school around, play in the gravel, and they each have their own little spot to go to for "quiet time". By routine "standards" opinions on if my tank is overstocked, even if everything is normal and they are happy? (If it ever gets to the point where the levels are abnormal or they don't get along anymore I will split them up, fyi) I included a shot of my tank for reference.

Attachments

• image-4162288829.jpg
    image-4162288829.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 104
Unfortunately, yes, it does appear to be overstocked. The main problem would be the size of the fish as they get quite big. Around 10'' for the calico, somewhat around that size for the rest also. It will be a tight squeeze for them, not to mention the bio load they will be producing at that size.

Hmm... I guess I can use this as an excuse to get them a bigger tank, right?! =D I'll have to start thinking about it once I get my 110 gallon finished. My hubby is going to be *thrilled*. Lol
I've had them for going on a year now and they haven't grown any (they were pretty big when I bought them), but I never really considered it overstocked (because they all seem happy and healthy and the water tests have always been fine) until I came here and started reading. I love education! :)

Yes!! Perfect excuse for a bigger tank! ;) lol. Your hubby will just have to understand haha :)

Yes!! Perfect excuse for a bigger tank! ;) lol. Your hubby will just have to understand haha :)

He enjoys them too, he just won't admit it. He's the one that comes home with new decorations for everything, and always asks if I want to go to the fish store.... Knowing I will see something that my tank needs. Lol

He enjoys them too, he just won't admit it. He's the one that comes home with new decorations for everything, and always asks if I want to go to the fish store.... Knowing I will see something that my tank needs. Lol
Passionate husband :) good to hear that. If you upgrade to a 110, adding a few more wouldn't be a bad idea?

Great! I love how my boyfriend will listen to me talk about my tanks, he doesn't not like them, and he doesn't disagree with them, he actually said if we could find a perfect place together he'd buy me a much larger aquarium. :D!! Lol. So cheers to that

Passionate husband :) good to hear that. If you upgrade to a 110, adding a few more wouldn't be a bad idea?

I'm building a cichlid tank with the 110. What kind of cichlids and how many are still to be determined- I'm still researching! I went to the fish store and took pictures of everything I liked, how they had the displays set up, and the names so I could come home and look them up. Then I'll go back to them and pick their brains! Hehehe

I'm building a cichlid tank with the 110. What kind of cichlids and how many are still to be determined- I'm still researching! I went to the fish store and took pictures of everything I liked, how they had the displays set up, and the names so I could come home and look them up. Then I'll go back to them and pick their brains! Hehehe
Haha. Well good luck with that. Cichlids can be tough and be territorial, but are wonderfull fish! Good luck.

Yes, the tank is overstocked. It would be overstocked with the 4 fancies alone. The comets are pond fish, and the two of them would require a minimum 100 gallon pond. That would only be minimally sufficient for their needs.

The fish are not playing in the gravel - they are foraging for food. Comets are much faster swimmers than fancy goldfish, and your moors can be beaten to the food by all four of their tankmates due to their decreased ability to see. So the fish most likely to be getting enough to eat in your tank are the comets, with the moors finishing last. That's one of the reasons people who keep fancies recommend keeping the same types together - the more delicate fancies like moors, telescopes, celestials and bubble eyes are more suitable in a tank by themselves.

A partial water change once a week is not sufficient for your tank. I have two fancies (ryukins) in a 29 gallon tank and I do 50% water changes 3 times per week.

In optimal conditions with the fish you have, you'd have two goldfish tanks and a pond. I hope before you get terribly involved in building your cichlid tank, you'll make and execute a plan for your existing fish that enables them to be healthy and grow to their potential.

Comets are much faster swimmers than fancy goldfish, and your moors can be beaten to the food by all four of their tankmates due to their decreased ability to see.

A partial water change once a week is not sufficient for your tank. I have two fancies (ryukins) in a 29 gallon tank and I do 50% water changes 3 times per week.

I hope before you get terribly involved in building your cichlid tank, you'll make and execute a plan for your existing fish that enables them to be healthy and grow to their potential.

I don't have comets in my tank, and my little moors are always the first ones to the food. They all line up in a row at the top of the tank at feeding time. They're fed twice a day, and what they don't eat gets scooped back out (they're as bad as my horses).
I will have to up my water changes and keep monitoring.
I'm already terribly involved in the big tank, so they're just going to have to tough it out a few more weeks until I can figure out how to remedy the situation (which they would have to do regardless of if i had another project I'm working on). Thank you for your input.

Haha. Well good luck with that. Cichlids can be tough and be territorial, but are wonderfull fish! Good luck.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to getting it finished- it gets boring looking at a giant empty tank in your living room. Lol I thought about a discus tank, but after some research decided I'm not quite ready for that challenge yet! Haha

Thank you, I'm looking forward to getting it finished- it gets boring looking at a giant empty tank in your living room. Lol I thought about a discus tank, but after some research decided I'm not quite ready for that challenge yet! Haha
Yes, very sensitive. They look tough to keep because of they're sesitivity, but with a bit of dedication, it can be a lot simpler then it seems. Anyway, not to go off topic too much, I hope you can find some solution for you're goldfish:)

Anyway, not to go off topic too much, I hope you can find some solution for you're goldfish:)

I was actually looking at bigger tanks while I was at petsmart today getting a new house for my betta, and I think I'm going to move them to a 55 or 60(it's the biggest tank that will fit where it'll need to go) . And then convince the hubby I need a pond for them for when they get too big for that! LOL :)

I was actually looking at bigger tanks while I was at petsmart today getting a new house for my betta, and I think I'm going to move them to a 55 or 60(it's the biggest tank that will fit where it'll need to go) . And then convince the hubby I need a pond for them for when they get too big for that! LOL :)
I suggest checking craigslist or something similar to that. You might find greater deals on bigger tanks:)

Craigslist definitely! I was just getting the measurements for them so I could try and find what I want used before I go dropping a ton of cash on a new setup. I wish I would've thought to look on there for stuff when I bought my first one, I could've saved myself a lot of trouble. Lol

Back
Top Bottom