Temperature And White Cloud Mountain Minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaidonni

Aquarium Advice Regular
The past week I've been thinking about my three White Cloud Mountain Minnows and the temperature in the tank.

Tank is ~50 litres when full (I'd reckon about 46-48 litres as it is with the filter, heater, airstone and plants). Tank lighting is Sun-Glo 46cm 15w T8, on for 6 hours a day from 2pm to 8pm, and it has been in use since March this year. The temperature goes up to ~23.5C when the light is on. This morning it was down to 21.5-22C, and my father checked it while I was at work, reporting 21C. This is with the thermostat on the heater set to the line after the 19 mark; it actually goes something like |19| |22|, and it can be set either on the numbers, in the blank areas, or on the lines - not very intuitive! The thermostat does go above 22C, but I don't think it's of any consequence as I wouldn't be turning it up that high anyway. At the moment, this means the tank is experiencing a daily fluctuation of ~2.5C (that's if it doesn't go any lower than 21C) - is that fine for the White Cloud Mountain Minnows, seeing as their optimum range is 18-22C? Is that fine fullstop, regardless of fish species? Should I be allowing a fluctuation of this size, or a fluctuation at all?

I won't be going for an LED light, so I don't really think that I can avoid the temperature going above 22C due to the light itself. I could set the thermostat higher to minimise the fluctuation - but then the higher I set it, the closer it will be to 22C at it's minimum (the maximum optimum temperature for White Cloud Mountain Minnows).

The past week I've been thinking about my three White Cloud Mountain Minnows and the temperature in the tank.

Tank is ~50 litres when full (I'd reckon about 46-48 litres as it is with the filter, heater, airstone and plants). Tank lighting is Sun-Glo 46cm 15w T8, on for 6 hours a day from 2pm to 8pm, and it has been in use since March this year. The temperature goes up to ~23.5C when the light is on. This morning it was down to 21.5-22C, and my father checked it while I was at work, reporting 21C. This is with the thermostat on the heater set to the line after the 19 mark; it actually goes something like |19| |22|, and it can be set either on the numbers, in the blank areas, or on the lines - not very intuitive! The thermostat does go above 22C, but I don't think it's of any consequence as I wouldn't be turning it up that high anyway. At the moment, this means the tank is experiencing a daily fluctuation of ~2.5C (that's if it doesn't go any lower than 21C) - is that fine for the White Cloud Mountain Minnows, seeing as their optimum range is 18-22C? Is that fine fullstop, regardless of fish species? Should I be allowing a fluctuation of this size, or a fluctuation at all?

I won't be going for an LED light, so I don't really think that I can avoid the temperature going above 22C due to the light itself. I could set the thermostat higher to minimise the fluctuation - but then the higher I set it, the closer it will be to 22C at it's minimum (the maximum optimum temperature for White Cloud Mountain Minnows).

You are fine leaving your heater as is. White cloud minnows are hardy little fish, and will be fine with a small fluctuation in Temp as long as it is within their range for most of the time like yours is. (y) Hope this answers your questions.

Back
Top Bottom