Temperature stability in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a tank I think 6 or so gallons (25 or so liters), with one comet, one fancy, and one algae eater. Our pet store guy advised us to try to keep the water temperature as consistent as possible and avoid fluctuations. The room we keep them in tends to be very sensitive to temperature change (our apartment is very small), and we try to keep it around 23 degrees Celsius/ 72 Fahrenheit (it's impossible to get it any colder, we've tried; the pet store guy said it's ok at this temp as long as it doesn't fluctuate too much). Summer is approaching and we notice when the sun comes up and into the room it really affects the temp, even with the curtains closed; my boyfriend was thinking about getting an automatically adjusting heater to keep it steady, but I'm worried they're going to boil to death. Any suggestions on what to do?

Brace yourself... That tank stocking is not so great.. Research goldfish minimum tank sizes and care needs. I'm at work so I can't go into detail.. In sure somebody else will chime in..

Yeah I've been told the tank is too small on this forum after we purchased it, but the pet store guy seems to think it is ok--we're not planning on expanding it's occupancy, but it's actually a lot bigger than they're used to because for a long time we had the comet and one other common in a little bowl...they seem to fare fine though and we've been really thorough with all the other care aspects

As fine as they may seem.. In a tank that size l your fish will be stunted, this means their internal organs will continue to grow while they remain the same size, they will probably die from this, your Lfs employee is wrong.. Sorry you were mis informed.

Yes, the tank is small. The fish should be ok for a while, but will definitely need bigger acommodation as they grow.

Goldfish can tolerate a huge range of temperatures from 0 to 30c and are quite happy at warmer temperatures. You can get cooling fans designed fo aquaria that may help.

With respect to brookster, the internal organs will not continue to grow. If a fish is stressed by lack of room and/or poor water quality, poor diet etc, then growth hormone is inhibited and growth ceases or slows to a minimum and so called stunting occurs.

As far as I've heard the body will be stunted, but the insides will keep growing and cause a very painful death

One of our goldfish has grown proportionately very big since we've moved them into the bigger tank so I don't think that's going to be an issue as of yet. I understand everyone's concern about the size but does anyone have more suggestions about the temperature issue

I think fancy goldfish actually likes heated temperature of 70-74 F.

I'm pretty sure that they should be okay at 80 F., but will die at 86 F. or more.

Back
Top Bottom