Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
Okay, So anyways. Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. Unless I read that wrong, the pump will pump approximately 950 GPH. That would be almost a perfect match for the Tetra PF-3. But you also might want to look into the Animate filter, because if I am correct on this, they either come with a UV, and you can also upgrade to a UV should you choose to not buy the filter with a UV to begin with. So just look around. There are probably 50 different sites that sell pond supplies. The great thing about it, is that each company specializes in buying in bulk for different products. So the same filter you buy at www.eponds.com may be cheaper at www.pondusa.com. Check it out. Do a search on www.google.com. Many places offer discounts if you buy a package (filter, pump, and tubing), other places offer free shipping for orders over $25. So again, patience is a virtue. Look around and get the best filter for the best price. The better filter you buy now, the less work you have to do later. It may be a matter of cost and price. Cost is something that wont pay off. Price is something you pay once and you are done, and eventually the product pays off for it self. When you make your decision.. I am here for you. I want to make sure that you do this right the first time. There are many mistakes that can be made, and since I've already been doing this for a living for almost 7 years, I have learned how to improve both mine, and other's mistakes to lessen problems later. And I'm sorry for being so rude by not asking your name. Care if I ask? Take care. I will not get to my computer until Monday morning, but leave as many questions or posts that you like. Have a nice weekend, talk to you on Monday.

Old 12-14-2003, 02:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

"The OFX 2000 pumps 950 gallons per hour at 3', 350 gph at 5' and pumps to 6.8'"

Keegan, you are so right! It's misleading! I guess the 2000 number is when the head is at ground zero. But from the bottom of my pond to the filter should be around 3.5' to 4 so it's much less than the 950 number even. About the name, it's my fault for not introducing myself. My name is Jimmy. I totally forgot as my head is constantly occupied with all aspects of this hobby. I don't know if it the passion will mollify as time goes by but I'm totally immersed in it at present

Anyway, i've made up my mind about this filter. I love its revolutionary design to let debris pass through. If you have a choice between the AniMate 3000 and PF-3, which one would you rather choose based on filtering performance alone regardless of aesthetic or price. I'd love to get a pressurized one but for now, i'll take baby steps first. Once i've gain more experience, i'll definately make a bigger pond with better equiptment for my fishes. I'm a student right now so I can only afford the aforementioned combo.

Thank you so much for your help Keegan. I guess this is all the questions i've for now. Have a wonderful weekend.

-jimmy

*QT* 3 goldies
Pond - 1100 gals approx. [in progress]
robotcholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi all!!

Just thought I'd step in with perhaps some additional info!!

Most all pumps give their stated or "rated" gph based on zero head height!

Head height is a very important factor in calculating the size pump you need.
So is, the number and type of features you plan to run (i.e. fountains, spitters,
UV's, waterfalls, external filters, skimmers and so forth).

That said, the Open-debris handling pumps are actually quite common now;
as many brands carry them in various styles. They are particularly good in
larger ponds where strong water circulation is particularly required or where
access to cleaning out a pre-filter is difficult.

As far as kits go.... again there are many. All sizes. Just be sure to compare
the items that are actually included with each kit as you check them out and
compare prices!! Check type of liner, underlayments, pump sizes and styles,
fountains or lights included??; etc.

Hope that helps some!!

Bernie
http://www.fishstoretn.com
JOIN US @http://www.aquatic-enterprises.com/TNAS/TNAS.htm
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
I am glad to help Jim. Anytime you need help, let me know. Take care

Tags
bio, biofilter, clear, filter, pond, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com