Tetra clearchoice biofilter for pond, good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotcholi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone in here use this filter? I'm thinking of getting this one for my pond but heard a lady at the store said it's really bad. I wonder what is your opinion if you have it. TIA guys.

It depends. What type of application are you going to use it in? The unfortunate thing about these type of filters is that they are not pressurized. This means that you have to have this ugly green thing above the water level, so it can run back to the pond or waterfall. Now if you are good at camaflouging, they are excellent, but I myself prefer the Cyprio Bioforce Filters, mainly because of the UV upgrade available on it, but also because it is pressurized, and it can sit in-ground, so it is extremely easy to hide and conceal. And honestly, in the thousands of customers that I see a year come into our store, the Tetra has performed over-all pretty well. Not many problems with it. But again... it all depends on the preference of the installer. One more thing: Be very careful that you don't get a pump larger than recommended on those type of filters. I have seen many occasions on the Tetras where somone got just 50GPH greater than recommended, and they lost so much water, again, because it isn't pressurized.

Just a thought. :D

wow thx you so much for your fantastic info angelfishfan, much appreciated!
can you please clarify this for me, i don't seem to get what you mean by this: "I have seen many occasions on the Tetras where somone got just 50GPH greater than recommended, and they lost so much water, again, because it isn't pressurized. " Shouldn't more water pump into to filter the better? why they lost water? i don't quite get it. thx.

Okay, when you put something into the garbage disposal, and you turn it on, it works, right? But if you fill the sink at the same time, the disposal can only handle so much water and solid at the same time, and eventually it will overflow (personal experience, lol) The same theory applies to the filter. Pressurization means that it is sealed, and no water can escape if too much water is put through it (bioforce). However, with the Tetra's filter, it is not sealed, or pressurized. Therefore, just as the sink overflowed, this also can over flow, because it is not sealed. If you look at a picture of the filter, you will understand where I am coming from. You also said:
Shouldn't more water pump into to filter the better?
This is definetly a common misconception. The company sets a certain GPH for their filter because filters can only handle so much water. If you pump the water through a filter too fast, not only will little mechanical filtration occur and the filter over flow, but NO biological filtration will occur. Which is more needed than mechanical. Which is mainly why I like pressurized. I STRONGLY recommend pressurized. I know that I am over-emphasizing that type of filter, but honestly, should you make a mistake in pump calculations, your filter won't leak and over flow and cause your pond to drain. That is a major plus.

Just a thought....

Thank you so much angelfishfan for taking your time to explain this. You explained very well. I can see why a pressurized filter is much better now. I think I'll go with pressurized filter instead but should I have to go to the Tetra filter, do you foresee any problem with this combo for this particular pond?
-Tetra OFX 2000
-Tetra PF-3 filter or Ani Mate Bio Pond Filter 3000
-pond is around 1100 US gal.

Thanks for your help.

As far as compatability is concerned.. excellent choice. As far as price is concerned, I hope that you have a good place to buy them, because for the cost of the pump, (Retailed in most dept stores at $300.00) I could get you a 1000 gallon pressurized filter and a pump of equal quality in a combo kit. But as far as filtration is concerned, it is a very good choice. The key to awesome filtration is over-sizing the filter to ensure superior water quality, especially with a higher fish load. I definetly believe that you achieved this. I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have, both now, and in the future. And please, call me Keegan.

one again thx Keegan! I did further research on the Tetra PF-3 and it says only good for pump up to 1000 GPH but the OFX is 2000 GPH so i guess it will leak and drain the pond because the PF-3 is not pressurized as you said. So I think I might have to go with the Ani Mate 3000 and OFX 2000. I couldn't find any info on the Ani Mate filter; do you think that combo is okay? Thx Keegan.

Okay, So anyways. Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. Unless I read that wrong, the pump will pump approximately 950 GPH. That would be almost a perfect match for the Tetra PF-3. But you also might want to look into the Animate filter, because if I am correct on this, they either come with a UV, and you can also upgrade to a UV should you choose to not buy the filter with a UV to begin with. So just look around. There are probably 50 different sites that sell pond supplies. The great thing about it, is that each company specializes in buying in bulk for different products. So the same filter you buy at www.eponds.com may be cheaper at www.pondusa.com. Check it out. Do a search on www.google.com. Many places offer discounts if you buy a package (filter, pump, and tubing), other places offer free shipping for orders over $25. So again, patience is a virtue. Look around and get the best filter for the best price. The better filter you buy now, the less work you have to do later. It may be a matter of cost and price. Cost is something that wont pay off. Price is something you pay once and you are done, and eventually the product pays off for it self. When you make your decision.. I am here for you. I want to make sure that you do this right the first time. There are many mistakes that can be made, and since I've already been doing this for a living for almost 7 years, I have learned how to improve both mine, and other's mistakes to lessen problems later. And I'm sorry for being so rude by not asking your name. Care if I ask? Take care. I will not get to my computer until Monday morning, but leave as many questions or posts that you like. Have a nice weekend, talk to you on Monday.

"The OFX 2000 pumps 950 gallons per hour at 3', 350 gph at 5' and pumps to 6.8'"

Keegan, you are so right! It's misleading! I guess the 2000 number is when the head is at ground zero. But from the bottom of my pond to the filter should be around 3.5' to 4 so it's much less than the 950 number even. About the name, it's my fault for not introducing myself. My name is Jimmy. I totally forgot as my head is constantly occupied with all aspects of this hobby. I don't know if it the passion will mollify as time goes by but I'm totally immersed in it at present :lol:

Anyway, i've made up my mind about this filter. I love its revolutionary design to let debris pass through. If you have a choice between the AniMate 3000 and PF-3, which one would you rather choose based on filtering performance alone regardless of aesthetic or price. I'd love to get a pressurized one but for now, i'll take baby steps first. Once i've gain more experience, i'll definately make a bigger pond with better equiptment for my fishes. I'm a student right now so I can only afford the aforementioned combo.

Thank you so much for your help Keegan. I guess this is all the questions i've for now. Have a wonderful weekend.

-jimmy

Hi all!!

Just thought I'd step in with perhaps some additional info!!

Most all pumps give their stated or "rated" gph based on zero head height!

Head height is a very important factor in calculating the size pump you need.
So is, the number and type of features you plan to run (i.e. fountains, spitters,
UV's, waterfalls, external filters, skimmers and so forth).

That said, the Open-debris handling pumps are actually quite common now;
as many brands carry them in various styles. They are particularly good in
larger ponds where strong water circulation is particularly required or where
access to cleaning out a pre-filter is difficult.

As far as kits go.... again there are many. All sizes. Just be sure to compare
the items that are actually included with each kit as you check them out and
compare prices!! Check type of liner, underlayments, pump sizes and styles,
fountains or lights included??; etc.

Hope that helps some!!

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom