The photo's have arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend in South Africa that builds ponds for a living... here are his comments on training Koi:

"The fish become really tame as time goes by. I use a trick to tame them.......try it.

I take a stocking/pantyhose....steal one from your wife when she's not looking. Then I put some food into the toes section and hang it in the water.....I sit at the ponds edge holding it.......it takes a while, but when they smell it they begin to come up to it and try to eat it.....obviously they cant eat the food because it's inside the stocking.......so I drop a few pieces of food onto the pond ......so now they begin to think that you're going to do this everytime you go close to the pond.........eventually they'll eat food out of your hand.......but be very patient, it takes time."

That sort of trick works for goldfish also. Unfortunately, my goldfish have seemed to only learn that a shadow means food, not me or my wife, just a shadow on the pond. Therefore, the good ol' Heron would show up, they'd come up thinking to be fed, and become food themselves!

I have a pellet gun you can borrow....quiet but effective! :wink:

Knowing me though, I would miss and shoot a hole in my liner! :roll:

Can I borrow the pellet gun? There is a bird outside my house. Been there for three months. In a tree. With an amazingly annoying tweeting thing going on. Little guy starts at 5 AM and punches out for the day around 3:30... Every round of tweets is fifteen seconds in rapid succession... followed by a three second break... ten hours a day... sounds like a squeeky machine gun. And its loud. Its comfortable here today so I really don't want to put the air on, which would mean shutting the windows... I was able to go outside and remove him from that tree with a rock (just by rustling the leaves). But today he is in the neighbor's tree taunting me. Little tiny dude too... with a huge tweet. Ugh.

I offered the kids fifty bucks to first one that brings me his head. Nada. Tomorrow's another day.

Today was another day with the little b@$*&^%. Started his game at 5 AM. Got his first rock flung at him at 5:08 while the coffee was brewing. He fled, but came back an hour later... even closer. By 7:15 there was another pebble flying through the air. I was good again until 9. He came back, but the kids went outside and I guess they disturbed him because he fled. He's been at quite a distance since... I can still hear him, but its not bad. I know he'll be back tomorrow morning. Probably end up putting the air on.

Hmmm... :mrgreen:

Obviously Mr. Nuisance doesn't like the rain. Complete silence here today. Wonder how he'd react to my kid's Super Soaker... 8O :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom