Thinking About Starting a Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Koi / Goldfish = Carp

Well see, I told you I didn't know much about Koi specifically LOL. Both the goldfish and the Koi are members of the carp family, the goldfish being inbred for color from a different member of the carp family than the Koi. Given that the Koi are actually river carp I'm still not sure that moving them indoors in the winter is all that viable of an option.
========================================
The Best example I can give you on the difference between a Goldfish and a Koi (Nishikigoi) when breeding has occurred producing a Sygnus(Hybrid) is this. When you breed a Horse with a Donkey you get a Mule (Hybrid) which is unable to reproduce. A better example on the subject of fish is when you cross a Brook Trout with a Lake Trout, you will end up with a Splake, another Hybrid which is unable to reproduce. All because these creatures are similar, they are all different species.

Darth Sorcerer said:
The plants you have and where you have them OK. But Waterlilies,Horn wart and Lotus plants in deep water add a few 8 to 10 pound Koi and none of these plants will be in their pots in no time flat. When it comes to the Water lettuce and the Hyacinths they will not survive with the salt level in my pond,of coarse I hope you realize that Hyacinths are poisonous to your Koi??!! Just putting that out there!:cool:

So are they poisonous or not, in different threads you claim it's not...this really makes people question your credibility...or have you changed your mind after doing research

Back
Top Bottom