Too Many Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So outside, we have a pond. It's about 300-500g I think, I can't remember. Anyway, it is way overstocked with goldfish, the pond is earth bottom so we can't really see them for all the mud, but there are probably at least 100 maybe even 2 or 3 (hundred lol). Every spring, they breed like guppies lol. So I was wondering, is there any way to get rid of them? I was thinking trying craigslist, but any other options? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know with our pond, the adults cull the herd and we only get a few babies that survive. We then put them on CL or out here we have "freecycle" which is kind of like CL but everything is free or trade.

Thanks. I guess its too murky in our pond for them to cull as many as yours do lol. I'll probably put a post on CL. I know htere are some goldies in the pond that are from 6-8" long :eek2: lol

not much more room for more pond lol I mean I could dig a little bit, but I couldn't build much. its at the bottom a small, yet steep hill and beside a fence on that side. on the other side is our gravel driveway. Its hard enough to dig through the crazy thick clay and slate... but gravel lol.

I put up a post today and I already have two people coming over tonight with a third that I said I'd have to get back to later since I'm not sure how many I have/ will have after them.

Well the last time I tried this, it didn't work out so well, but this time, the pond has so much mud in it, and the water is pretty low, that one day soon (hopefully next weekend), I'm going to move as many as I can over to multiple trash cans (like maybe 3 each or so, I don't have so many left, at least I don't think so...) that way I can count them and actually get some pictures lol. Hopefully, this more organized method will be more effective. Afterwards, we'll have to fill up the pond :cry: but its for the best. All the erosion has left it only about 8" deep :(

The biggest one is like 7". There might be 2-6"ers but the majority are under 3". I'm gonna try to call my lfs this weekend. School put me behind on this so they're still sitting out there in the 3 cans. I'm not sure anyone will want them now but I'll still try to put them on cl :|

Well, some people finally came over and took them all. I'm glad to have something less to worry about. I hope they enjoy their new home. Now I just have to work on getting rid of my juvenile cichlids haha.

I know that our pond, adult cattle slaughtered, we only get a few babies to survive. Then, we put them on CL or here, we have a "free cycle", which is a bit like a light, but all are free or trade.

Aquarium1 said:
Well, some people finally came over and took them all. I'm glad to have something less to worry about. I hope they enjoy their new home. Now I just have to work on getting rid of my juvenile cichlids haha.

Idk if you all saw this but I was finally able to get rid of them a while ago. Just saying lol.

Back
Top Bottom