Tropicals in pools this summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you should be fine as long as you have netting over it. Again, I think there just too many predatory birds up there. Least of which are crows and eagles. I know people around here who couldn't keep koi in a pond because birds kept swooping down and grabbing them.

Do you guys put your tubs in sun, shade, mostly sun, mostly shade, etc.

Fishobsessed7

I try to keep my pools and vats in locations that get periods of shade in the mid-morning and late afternoon. The last two years I have had at least one pool and vat in direct full sun all day. The only issue I have noted is the increased temps July-August. I did have no vat turn pea green, but that was due to my over feeding as well. I did note that the Endlers, Least Killies and Platys seemed undaunted, but the Swords reproduction fell significantly. Keep in mind I do a 5% + water change daily and run a small in-tank HOB in each.

Just an FYI-I've had not bird problems, but bullfrogs ate a lot of fish last summer. Also on the Canadian side of things, here in Missouri I use brooder lights, 225watt, in the spring and fall during the evenings.

I don't think light will be a problem for Canada. He will get a couple more hours than us. When I was in Sioux Lookout the sun would go down about 11 and be back up by 6. During the weeks prior to and after the summer solstice, one can see light even though the sun is below the horizon. Every business in town would adjust their times of operation so that they could start work earlier. This gave everyone more time for summer fun in the evening.

I'll be setting up between3-6 pools for the fishes

Mainly being stocked with live bearers but may do a shrimp only one. But last year when I did this the shrimp took forever to re capture. And I'm sure I lost 50 or so babies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be setting up between3-6 pools for the fishes

Mainly being stocked with live bearers but may do a shrimp only one. But last year when I did this the shrimp took forever to re capture. And I'm sure I lost 50 or so babies

How do you go about capturing the fish? Do you drain the tubs really low so the fish have nowhere to go, or do you dump the water through a net so the fish get caught in the net?

Fishobsessed7

I remove all plants and the drain the pool into a 1ft by 1ft net. With a brine shrimp net underneath to catch any really small guys

Do you guys have lots of dragon flies and mayflies? There are a lot by my house and I know there larvae like to munch on fish, so how to I keep them out?

Fishobsessed7

I'm probably not doing pools this summer. We are building a sunroom/greenhouse and having pools around will b problematic.

I am doing a 7 gallon outside with some miscellaneous guppies. It's pretty small, but I plan to go ham with the hornwort and moss.i also have a 40 gallon tub inside that I am breeding red hi fin tuxedo variatus platies in ATM

I may still get some 55g barrels and grow some mosses and plants out. I have one area of yard that should remain undisturbed during construction. I would probably add tiger endlers and white clouds in with the plants to keep algae and bugs down.

I'm in Florida and have a pond with live bearers and even when the cold fronts come thru in the winter (35-40 for a few days) I really dot have a problem.

Funny thing: I stared with 10 red plattys and swordtails and after 4 seasons I have 100's of fish that are all gray and dull colored. Many of them still have the Micky mouse pattern but natural selection does not like brightly colored fish

I'm thinking of adding a school of 5 fire mouths or jewel fish

I'm sure the chiclids will thin the live bearers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Diet will also affect coloration. It doesn't surprise me that your fish have thrived and are not affected by colder temperatures. They are conditioned for those lower temperatures. I know there is a small lake in southeastern Montana that has a thriving population of livebearers and it gets considerably colder there.

Sorry, I lied; southwestern Montana neat West Yellowstone/Gardner. There are swordtails, sailfin mollies, regular mollies, and platys.

I have a feeling that its the upper Yellowstone River which doesn't ice over because of the geothermal activity. The water is warm enough to support some fish that are from more temperate waters. I know that x. montezumae swordtails prefer cooler waters.

Got a 35 gallon hex for 10$ that I set up outside today. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit before adding fish. I also plan on buying several stock tanks.

What should go in the 35? WCMM, guppies, mollies, platies, or cherry barbs?

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I have my tubs setup, and made my own thread! Has anyone else setup their tubs?

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Back
Top Bottom