Veggie Suggestions for Fancies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Outside of the cooked frozen/deshelled peas, what other vegetable treats can I feed my fancies? Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated -- i.e. zucchini, spinach, et al...

Thank you!

Zucchini, cucumber, broccoli florets, carrots (in bite size pieces), romaine lettuce, cauliflower florets are all good ideas. Fresh green beans, too. Just make sure everything is cooked well enough to be bitten into pieces. When I feed veggies I microwave them in a little cup of tank water then let them cool off. Anything not starchy or spicy is good, although avoid iceberg lettuce since it has essentially no nutritional value. Fresh or frozen veggies are good, but nothing canned as they will contain salt or other preservatives. I

Yep! I don't think you need to blanch it, it's already easy enough to eat. I have heard of people freezing it and thawing before feeding to make it a bit easier to eat without making it as messy as cooking it would. I've never tried feeding it to any fish myself, but that's because I usually end up eating all of it first... It's one of my favorite veggies.

Oh, and I found the skirt! Lol

Yep! I don't think you need to blanch it, it's already easy enough to eat. I have heard of people freezing it and thawing before feeding to make it a bit easier to eat without making it as messy as cooking it would. I've never tried feeding it to any fish myself, but that's because I usually end up eating all of it first... It's one of my favorite veggies.

Thank you; so the spinach doesn't need to be "cooked" per se?

What about all the other veggies you mentioned -- those need to be cooked, right?

Oh, and I found the skirt! Lol

:eek: :brows: PICS OF YOU IN IT! PICS OF YOU IN IT! :brows::brows: :) ;) :lol:

Thank you; so the spinach doesn't need to be "cooked" per se?

What about all the other veggies you mentioned -- those need to be cooked, right?

:eek: :brows: PICS OF YOU IN IT! PICS OF YOU IN IT! :brows::brows: :) ;) :lol:

Anything that is kind of tough should be blanched (cooked in boiling water for a short time then cooled to stop the cooking process) so that they can get bites of it. You want it either a bit mushy or cut into bite size pieces, or both. I think the easiest way to feed carrots is to grate it into strips then lightly blanch it.

Anything that is kind of tough should be blanched (cooked in boiling water for a short time then cooled to stop the cooking process) so that they can get bites of it. You want it either a bit mushy or cut into bite size pieces, or both. I think the easiest way to feed carrots is to grate it into strips then lightly blanch it.

Gotcha. Thanks!

When I feed spinach, I use bagged frozen cut spinach and just thaw it in boiling water. I buy zucchini fresh, and Sunday afternoon is when I blanch it, lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet to cool, then freeze (so they freeze separately). When they are frozen, I pop them in my freezer container (an old plastic sherbet container) and put them in the freezer. That way, I have individual pieces ready to thaw in boiling water during my work week.

Back
Top Bottom