Veiltail goldfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently came across this goldfish picture on pinterest and am now obsessed lol After some research I believe it is a veiltail goldfish. I would really love to own one but I can't seem to find any where to buy one. I have tried aquabid.com without luck. Does anyone have some suggestions. :fish1:

Attachments

• goldfishblack veiltail.jpg
    goldfishblack veiltail.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 653
Yes, it's a veil tail type although most would classify it as a fringetail as its tail does not fan out and hang (as a wedding veil does). There are various types of 'veils' and the standards vary by breed. They are rare as this manmade 'deformity' can make it difficult for the fish to swim at all. Fringes are almost always culled as they can not survive.

Occasionally, RainGarden or Dandy Orandas/Goldfish Connection will have veils for sale but they cost easily $100 minimum and often fetch prices astronomically higher. I will post of a pic of a veil tail (broadtail) moor when I am back on my computer. :)

Yes, it's a veil tail type although most would classify it as a fringetail as its tail does not fan out and hang (as a wedding veil does). There are various types of 'veils' and the standards vary by breed. They are rare as this manmade 'deformity' can make it difficult for the fish to swim at all. Fringes are almost always culled as they can not survive.

Occasionally, RainGarden or Dandy Orandas/Goldfish Connection will have veils for sale but they cost easily $100 minimum and often fetch prices astronomically higher. I will post of a pic of a veil tail (broadtail) moor when I am back on my computer. :)

Thanks for the info. I would love to see the picture you are talking about.

Hopefully, this will post! This is a broadtail (veiltail) moor. You can see the tail clearly fans out as a wedding 'veil' would and that there are no lobes or delineations in her tail (butterflys have clearly divided left and right lobes). I will post another veil-type when I get a chance after the holiday weekend to get a clear pic of her.

A standard veil is very different than the fringetail depiction you posted. However, I am not positive this is an actual picture but rather a computer generated image based upon a well known historic plate. Its something else I will post if I can recall exactly where I saw it discussed (may have been a book though). Hope this helps a bit! Feel free to ask any questions! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom