Very Bad Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tried barley, which really doesn't work. i can't use algicide because I have plants.
what's the best thing to use, zebra mussels maybe?

What kind of algae? green water, Hair algae?

Barley straw works for me, to an extent, but the dag hair algae, i ain't beat it yet!

i have green water,
how long does it take for the barley to start and how do you have it set up?

I use a commercial Pond algae cure, but my pond plants are floating, which I take out, the others are in containers, but instructions on the bottle let you know what plants can be harmed, I only have to remove the water hyacinths, none of my other plants are harmed by the solution. It has worked very well for me. Hope this helps. Lori. :lilangel:

A good UV sterilizer will cure this problem and keep your water crystal clear everyday for the rest of it's existence (as long as you change the bulb every 1-2 years). Just make sure to get one that's enough watts for your pond and that your flow rate passing thru it is within the acceptable range for the particular sterilizer. I promise it will be the best investment you ever made for your pond. Good Luck.

After treating my pond for Ick, I started a 20% water change for 3 days, what a difference, plus i have my two pleco's, one the size of a whale, the other is a very shy Golden Nugget that belongs to my son until he gets his tank finished...if I decide to let him take it now. My pond is cement, built in 1937, has a little bridge over two triangular sides. I have various water plants in it. We put the first filter & falls into the pond two months ago, it had never had one. I am happy to say that the water is crystal clear, my remaining fish are all healthy, still checking daily. A hobby of mine, I can't leave them alone. I give credit to the filter, but most to the pleco's which have really done a great job. Now I am going to shop around for a heater for this winter or I'll bring the pleco's in. Any suggestions for a good would be appreciated. thank you in advance. :lilangel: P.S. Sorry about previous post, BIG mistake!

prisoner1572,

I had the same problem. I used Algae Destroyer and it did not affect my lilies. I used have the dosage though. It knocked it back. I see no reason why you couldn't use the recommended dosage.

para

I would not use zebra muscle for any reason for they will take over every thing and clog up you intake filter I used pond clarfier which brings it all up to the surface and then you can pick it up with a net like you use in a swimming pool and I also use barley balls which take about a month to work. I have a 1200 gallon pond and use a 2400 GPH pump with a home made skimmer and filter which has worked better than any thing else that the dealers have sold me over the last three years. I live in Illinois and ponds have grown quicker thna their knowlege of them have here. the only thing I can't get rid of is the snails no one around here has a way of killing them and they quickly clog my fliter I have to clean it every week or risk destroying it and it cost over $200.

Back
Top Bottom