WARNING: Submersible LED's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerFusion

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am Not an Expert, But experienced something Strange!! I am not going to call out any companies, because I could have caused the problem by nicking a wire.

I am currently treating a goldfish for Tail Rot and Ammonia Burn in a 10 gallon Hospital Tank (I rescued this fish from a friend of my daughter)

I also have a 75 gallon community tank. In the 75 gallon, I noticed that all my Rainbowfish were down by the gravel on one side of the tank... They are usually swimming all over. I then noticed a small discollered scale on the head of a few of them that looked a bit pitted. I was so afraid that I passed a Parasite from the hospital tank to the community.

I scrambled to the Internet for research and came across an article about "Hole-In-The-Head-Disease which said there was no cure and they did not know what caused it... After the article there was a comment regarding "Stray Current" from electrical devices in an aquarium... Hmmm. I have two 24" LED Bubble Wands in my gravel. I figured I would try and turn them off expecting No Response to that. I reached into my cabinet and flicked the switch on the power bar for the LED's... Within 5 seconds, ALL of the Rainbowfish were swimming happily around the tank!!! :dance:
Coincidence? I Don't Think So!!

I had recently been cleaning the gravel and may have nicked the wire to the one on the right. A friend of mine said that fish can be attracted to an electrical field and I realized they were hovering right over the buried wire.

Be careful with Submergible Electrical Equipment!!

It may just show up on a volt meter but I don't have one. I do still have the lights in the tank, but they are unplugged at the moment. I am curious now, and may pick up a volt meter to test it... Or see if my Father-In-Law will let me borrow his (probably not considering I want to stick it in water)

Back
Top Bottom