Waterfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in HD today buying the underlayment for the pond when I saw a product by Beckett, Water gardens. It was very simular to the foam you would spray around a vent or something to seal it. It comes out of the can wet, expands and sets in 10 min, cures hard in 24hrs. They show it being used specifically for water falls. Has anyone ever used this type thing? I was going to install the falls using concrete, but if this stuff works, why not go that route.

The specs said that at 1/4 inch thick, you can do a bead 1775 inches long.

Keep in mind, these falls are going to be about 3-4 feet high and will turn the corner of the pond. So, 3 feet long, turn the corner, and then another 3-4 feet long.

I have heard about it. It is waterfall sealer, used to seal all gaps in a rock. Quite useful, but the longer the waterfall and the more rocks, the more foam :wink:

I've seen it used on TV programs where the were building a pond, looked good. Read about using it in a gardening/pond mag or something once also. Sounds like quality stuff.

My main question would be: Do you have to use the whole can at once, or in a couple hours? the reason is, I bought some foam sealant for house projects a couple years ago, and you basically have to use the whole can in a couple hours, or the foam hardens in the applicator tube, making whatever you have left useless. I'm a slow worker, and designing/building my falls was tough enough when I wasn't under pressure to get it done before some can clogged up on me.

I might have to give it a try then. Its 12.00 a can, but it sounds like it would easily be in the same price range as the amount of cement it will take. The think I am worried about is that is says something about it being purple. Why would they make something purple that is suppose to blend into a natural setting? I think I will give it a try anyway, at least on the bottom parts of it.

Thought I would give yall an update. The can says 1/4 inch bead will do 1750 FEET not inches!

I just completed my pond and waterfall and used a ton of the stuff... It was a complete do-it-yourself effort with some guidance from the local nursery... Because of the design (and inexperience) I used the foam to guide the water and seal leaks... the stuff is great! In the right places it looks like rocks, and it in a bunch of places, it looks like black patching. Don't underestimate the stuff... it grows, and keeps growing. You'll be surprised at how much. And use latex gloves... it is a bear to get that stuff off your hands!

Regarding 'all at once'... it was explained to me that if it isn't allowed to 'expand' it won't harden... When I finish with a can, even if it is just opened, I pull my latex glove off and slide it over the straw like a cap... some of the foam expands and fills the finger, but the foam in the tube doesn't harden. Then all I have to do is slide my glove off and twist the knob of foam that did harden and it breaks free of the tube. The rest came right out like it was supposed to.

This, of course, was only after a day or so... I don't know what will happen if it sat for a week or longer. I would imagine nothing though. Great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom